The 5D3 is dead. Long live the 5D3...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

A flood. My fault...

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#2 Matt Sullivan

Matt Sullivan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Diving, fishing, photography, basketball, sleeping...

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

NO! im so sorry, i recently flooded my 7D and got a 5D3 and im not sure i want to take it underwater

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1457 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ouch, hopefully it was insured.

What happened?

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Photoshoot, back to back diving, battery switch, in a hurry, distracted by my rebreather and didn't latch the housing back properly. On the plus side, it was in fresh water so the inside of the housing should be fine and won't need a strip-down and maybe the strobe trigger unit will have survived. Fingers crossed that the CD card is OK and the day's earlier images are safe. I'll give it time to dry thoroughly before I take a look.

The day wasn't a complete disaster though as my son, CJ and aged 15, completed an advanced Nitrox and decompression procedures certification...

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Well, John Bantin will scold you for not having a pressure check system! ;)

The CF card should be fine to download if you dried it quickly enough.   If you don't, it can die very quickly.  Should be fine for a quick download.  If you really want to make sure the data is saved, open the card and wash the parts with alcohol to dry quickly. 

Well at least you have Prince Georg to cheer you up! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, please don’t let Bantin see this thread! 

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#7 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

Oh, damned!
Sorry to hear about the 5D3 and i deeply hope you had it insuranced, but congratulations to your sons!

To be honest, i made in my career 2 dives with my Patima G12 housing and left the latches closed but not locked because of "hurry",

but fortunately the closed but not locked latches did not snapped open ....

And yesterday the red light vacuum alarm blinked when i was still on the surface, get back in the boat, checked all but found no leak, vacuumed again

and made 2 dives with no problems. I guess that the temperature rise while driving to the dive site was enough to trigger the alarm.

Chris

P.S.
John Bantin (and other users (like me) of h......t housings) would most probably add that our housings have hex bolts and no latches and if the common bastard allen-wrench-fish will show up and loosen the bolts the vacuum system would inform us that there may be a problem.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#8 Elainew

Elainew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

:-(((

#9 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Photoshoot, back to back diving, battery switch, in a hurry, distracted by my rebreather and didn't latch the housing back properly. On the plus side, it was in fresh water so the inside of the housing should be fine and won't need a strip-down and maybe the strobe trigger unit will have survived. Fingers crossed that the CD card is OK and the day's earlier images are safe. I'll give it time to dry thoroughly before I take a look.

The day wasn't a complete disaster though as my son, CJ and aged 15, completed an advanced Nitrox and decompression procedures certification...

I feel your pain.  I flooded my 7D exactly the same way.  Opened the housing between dives, missed a latch when I closed it, and flooded it in the camera tank on the boat.   

A stupid mistake that I will never make again.  Probably.  

Edited by saudio, 28 July 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#10 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Photoshoot, back to back diving, battery switch, in a hurry, distracted by my rebreather and didn't latch the housing back properly.

Just be glad that you weren't distracted by the camera and missed a latch on the rebreather.  That could have made for a much worse day. 

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#11 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

Sorry to hear that, Tim.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#12 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Both the CF and SD survived and the battery looks good too. The rebatteried flood alarm is working and I have high expectations for the strobe trigger too. Alex is sending me a new Sigma 15mm and Clifton cameras a replacement body, including a rack of gratis Adobeware... Should be good to shoot the underwater jet boots next week on FF!