Just concerned

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

Hi folks,

I have a facebook page where I regularly post up pictures of my underwater photo shots, because I like to share them with friends.  I have restrictions set in my facebook site re: sharing etc etc.....but am still wondering how 'safe' am I?

I use lightroom's web function to make a watermark 'web image' and this is what I use when I post.

I enclose a sample of what I do put up on my facebook, with the watermark etc., but if you think I could improve on anything  I'd appreciate on any sage advice.

Many thanx in advance

Damo

Attached Images

• DSC_0103_Edit.jpg

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3026 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hi partner,

I very rarely post my best images on Facebook. You might think about getting an account on Flickr or Zenfolio, etc. then linking to your shot on Facebook for the good stuff.  Either way, think about using a watermark that is more difficult for someone to deal with if they wanted to unscrupulously use the image.  I'm liking a large centered watermark with the opacity set to about 10 so (depends on the color) it usually doesn't detract too much from the image and it's easy to setup in LR.  It's too easy to crop out a corner watermark or with the new LR spot healing brush just dissolve it away. 

Maybe try something like this;  

Damo_BW1v2.jpg

Love the image by the way!

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

I hear you Steve....sound advice as always.

Thank you

:-)

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#4 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

I only post low resolution images (800x600) and watermark the upper left corner.  It detracts from the images, but at least it means that if stolen, they can only get the low res versions.

I recently had one of my more popular non dive related photos scraped from Flickr and used as advertising for a for-profit Facebook page.   They didn't even bother photo-shopping out the copyright notice.  On Flickr it has around 10k hits.  Facebook doesn't share hit counts, only "likes" and "shares".  The for-profit site had over 22k "likes" and 2.5k "shares" of the page with my image.  If you assume that only 1 in 10 hits on Facebook results in a "like", then this image has 200k+ hits, possibly more.  I sent Facebook a take-down notice which they complied with, but the for-profit site had no penalty other than they got to use my image for free for as long as it took me to notice the violation.  I recommend using a tool like TinEye to look for copyright infringement.  I was a little surprised at how many of my images have been scraped and used without my permission.  You might be surprised too.

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms