• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mattwallace24

mattwallace24

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

This is my first time uploading a photo for critique.  Looking for some feedback and constructive criticism.   

This was shot with a Nikon D90/Tokina 10-17 FE using ISO 320, f/8, and 1/250 shutter speed.  Twin YS-1D strobes set to 1/4 power or less.  

Picture was shot mid-afternoon at surface in dark green water (Rhode Island).  Shark was approximately 7 feet long, so struggled lighting entire shot during these "nose in" approaches.  Also was my first time shooting with twin strobes, so I'm sure I still have a lot to learn.  

The original picture was shot in RAW (~12 MP), but had to use a much smaller jpeg to get below the 1000k file attachment limitation.  

Let me know what you think.  

Regards, Matt

Attached Images

• Blue Shark.jpg

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

Love it Matt,

Blues are such gorgeous animals.  If it was mine I would try to lighten it up just enough the see the dorsal a little more clearly.  Either globally of locally. The fins are such a critical element to most folks expectations I'd see if I could make it a little more prominent.

Cheers 

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 mattwallace24

mattwallace24

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Steve - Thanks for the feedback.  I'll work on  the dorsal fin as soon as I find some time.  

Matt

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2102 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'd be very happy with the image as it stands: the lighting emphasises the really nice reflection.

#5 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Nice capture... blue sharks are one of my favourite looking sharks.

just a small question... how did you get1/250 from your D90.. i have tried several times and cannot get it to do that.

Edited by Alastair, 31 July 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#6 mattwallace24

mattwallace24

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

Alastair -

I'm only guessing on this, but it could be your brand of strobes.  I did a quick search of the issue and found most D90 users were limited to 1/200.  I did find a post where a user was able to reach higher speeds land was using Sea & Sea strobes like myself.  He could only get 1/200 with an IKE housing and IKE strobes, but could go higher when he switched to S&S strobes.  

Since we have the same housing, that shouldn't be the issue.  I don't have anything setup unusual in my camera settings that I'm aware of.  I do use standard S&S sync cords versus optical.  

I can actually shoot higher than 1/250, but start getting the black banding at 1/320.  

Would be interesting if someone has access to both S&S and non-S&S strobes to see if that is the difference.  

Matt

#7 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

thanks Matt,

i have somehow managed to do it once when i was in the philipines odly enough using snoots and i think it was going up to 1/320 and i didn't notice any banding as a lot of the image was black anyhow, but since then i have not managed to replicate it, despite a lot of research!  i am not sure it is the strobes but maybe the strobe settings..  by the tim i figure it out i will probably have upgraded haha.. 

i have both strobes i will borrow my wifes YS-110s and see if it will do it and let you know!

or jsut a thought what position do you have your switches inside your housing?

thanks

Alastair

Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#8 mattwallace24

mattwallace24

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:54 AM

or jsut a thought what position do you have your switches inside your housing?

Strangely enough, my switches are 1-3 down and 4 up.  Strange because I don't recall that being a referenced setting or why I ended up with it.  Worked fine for me however.

Matt