• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mehmet Gungen

Mehmet Gungen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

I ll be staying at Moyo Island, Sumbawa, Indonesia during first two weeks of September 2013.

I would be interested to hear any related experience or hints the community members might have such as essential dives to be made, lenses to be taken to the trip etc.

#2 browng

browng

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

I presume that you will be staying at the Amanwana Resort?

All the best
Gordon

Nikon D800 in Nauticam Housing with INON Z240 and Inspiration Rebreather.

#3 Mehmet Gungen

Mehmet Gungen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yes you re right

#4 browng

browng

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I spent a couple of weeks on Moyo back in 2010. The resort was very quite so I had a one on one with the dive guides, Kaz and Elias, which made my photographic opportunities excellent.

Viz was good, and a wide range of critters from pigmy sea horses to blue spotted rays. The coral is very colourful with some really large barrel sponges.

The only issue I had was the weight of luggage flying in from Bali. I bought an extra seat both ways just in case so that i could carry all my gear. In the end it wasn't a problem as we were the only passengers on the plane.

Have a great trip

Attached Images

• Moyo-1.jpg
  • Moyo-2.jpg
  • Moyo-3.jpg
  • Moyo-4.jpg
  • Moyo-5.jpg
  • Moyo-6.jpg

All the best
Gordon

#5 Mehmet Gungen

Mehmet Gungen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

Cool pictures. I understand that mostly macro objects are present there. After checking the transport section of Amanwana website i did the same and bought an extra seat in the plane. :-)

How many dives a day could day organize? I also would prefer a one to one and very often i even pay additionally if this is an available option.

#6 browng

browng

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

I dived two dives each morning so that I could enjoy my lunch!

Because the resort was quiet and I was the only one diving I had a guide to myself for the vast majority of dives. Hopefully you will get similar

I would make sure that you do some wide angle photography as the coral colours are stunning but you are right there not many pelagics or larger fish.

Have fun.

All the best
Gordon

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

Mehmet, sent you a PM.
Most of the macrolife is on the walls or reefs, so choose your lenses accordingly.  If you want a bit of muck diving, the Japanese wreck site is a bit mucky. Saw seamoths and white v octopus.  It's pretty deep though.  I really like the Amanwana and have been quite a few times.  The diving isn't fantastic though, just good enough to keep you busy for half a day.  Definitely do the Mata Jitu waterfall trip.  If you are bored with diving, the trek to the bay during low tide use to have juvenile black tip sharks messing around in the shallows. I spent a few hours trying to take pics of them.  You can ask the staff for some fish guts to chum the water to bring them closer. :)  Don't bring it back to the tent otherwise you will risk sleeping outside when the better half smells the dead fish! :)
Definitely bring a fisheye along for the nice coral growth.  You may wish to use a mini-dome for that closeup look.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 Mehmet Gungen

Mehmet Gungen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Gordon, Drew
Thank you very much for valuable information.
I would never be able to find such specific and useful hints somewhere :-)

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

Oh yes and ocean tent  if you like waking to crashing waves.  Jungle tents are just as nice inside but you get the macaques jumping over the roof sometimes, and one did sneak into the room cos I left the door open.  I'm not a big AC fan and it does get down to 24 or so at night during winter/fall (jun-nov).

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 Mehmet Gungen

Mehmet Gungen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

I already made my choice and preferred crushing waves to jumping macaques. I hope i ll be happy with that choice. :-) 

#11 oneyellowtang

oneyellowtang

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Stayed at Amanwana with my family for a week three years ago. Loved the resort... and the diving was very good (good enough we're going back next year on our way to Komodo).

Along with the comments from others, I would also add that Amanwana has one of the best night dives anywhere - their sea wall at night is an incredible dive. I liked it so much I did it 3 nights in a row... lots of interesting critters, and available right off the dock.

- Matt