• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shrike71

shrike71

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 08:31 AM

I've decided to take the plunge and splash out on some digital kit for underwater photography as i've been seeing some amazing stuff over the past year... I was thinking of investing about $1500 - $2000 on some kit, but the info out there is really confusing. The "Epoque" kits for the olympus c40 zoom look quite good... any opinions? I'd like kit that would preferably do up to 60m depth, but no less than 40m. Anybody got some tips for me as an underwater digital photgraphy newbie?
Thanx

#2 Dee

Dee

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 07:48 PM

I'm a newbie myself but there's some good info out there. I know nothing about the Epoque. I have the Oly C-4040 and a PT-10 housing. I have about $900 invested in the camera and housing. I'll add a strobe after I've had a bit of experience with the camera itself underwater. The advantage of using the set-up without an external strobe was a big selling point for me. The only thing I would change with the PT-10 is the depth limitation but I'm willing to work around that.

You might want to look at the Light and Motion Tetra housing for greater depth but you have to have a strobe.

Some links that might help...

http://www.marscuba.com/uwdigital.html

http://www.steves-di...m=58&Topic=7445

Digital Photography - FWIW

Dee

#3 micagreenmachine

micagreenmachine

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2002 - 09:06 PM

I too decided to take the plunge into underwater digital. I bought the Oly C4040 last week and I'll probably get the housing soon. Have you seen the Ikelite housings? I'm looking into this housing
http://www.ikelite.c...oly6130sin.html

I think it works with the onboard flash to make it easier to get started and it'll give you a chance to upgrade to strobes later.

Do you have a link to the manufacturer that you mentioned? I'm still investigating myself.

~Todd

#4 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 02:23 AM

On the kona trip with Jim Watt, we took PT-XX housings down to 110-120 ft and never had problems with them. They're really small, too, so you can stick 'em in cracks and fire away with the onboard flash. ;)

[Edited on 2-5-2002 by echeng]
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#5 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 04:46 AM

]

[Edited on 3-25-2002 by underwaterdigital]
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.

#6 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 10:15 AM

[Edited on 3-25-2002 by underwaterdigital]
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.