NLE Software

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

I know that this has previously been discussed, but since software is constantly evolving, I thought that maybe it would be time to ask again.

I have been using Pinnacle 14 Ultimate on a Windows XP machine for a long time, and have actually been fairly happy with it.  Although it can be a little slow, with the Ultimate package and a couple of add-ins, it has plenty of tools for my use.  However, I just upgraded my computer to a Windows 7 machine with much more processing power with the aim of buying the current version of Pinnacle (version16 Ultimate), however perhaps it is time to look at other packages.  One that has caught my eye is Corel VideoStudio X6.  It seems to be getting good reviews, and seems to have a nice package of editing tools.  I use and like Corel's WordPerfect, and Quattro Pro, so I am comfortable with their user interface, and the price is quite reasonable.

Any thoughts on these programs, or others that I should look at?  For what its worth, anything made by Apple is right out of the picture; I can't abide their user interface at all, so no point in going there.  If it helps, I am mostly shooting for my own pleasure and for the folks that are on trips with me, and occasionally to make training films for our dive team.

Thanks for the advice.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

If you use Adobe creative cloud, upgrading to complete will allow you access to Premiere Pro.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

I just updated to EDIUS 6.5 and the new 7 64 bit.

You can edit 8 bit as 10 bit  (minimizing compression banding) and change the re sampling to a high quality when it comes time to render out a H.264 file for the net of Blu_Ray.

It also uses intels (ivy or sandy bridge CPUs) built in H.264 encoder for super fast H.264 files.

Also has a stabilizer filter that you can throw on a clip and still keep editing even on the clip you put the filter on as it works in the background.

It will edit almost any video format in its native form real time and even mixed them all up together.

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

SwiftFF5..

Out of curiosity, what about the Apple interface can't you abide with?  Are you talking about the OS or the editing applications?   Adobe Premier Pro has the same interface on a Mac as it would a PC, no?

Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

It is the Apple Operating system that annoys me every time that I'm required to use it.  While I would guess that the Adobe Premier interface might be the same on both platforms, I get too annoyed with the OS to get that far.  I guess I'm just getting too old and cranky. 

FWIW, I ended up both upgrading to the current version on Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 16, and also bought Corel Video Studio X6.  I'm playing with both of them right now, and haven't really decided which I like better.  I am also trying to finish up a project in Pinnacle 14 since their customer support suggested that I not try to finish a project that I started with one version in another version.  So, it is all taking longer than it should.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#6 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

I also use Adobe Premiere Pro via the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver, etc) but do NOT follow the creative cloud route as Adobe like to go with their customers!

Besides that, I believe Premiere is the way to go since the convergence of various softwares on the same platform, especially Premiere for video and Photoshop for stills, is also a common trend in the video world.

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#7 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

I also use premiere pro cs6. Will NOT be doing the creative cloud....which is ridiculous. So in the future I will change to non adobe, but probably not for a while.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#8 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

I just updated to EDIUS 6.5 and the new 7 64 bit.

Same old NLE flame  :deadhorse:

Edius all the life.

BTW if the OP is:

mostly shooting for my own pleasure and for the folks that are on trips with me, and occasionally to make training films for our dive team.

There's no reason to buy Edius 7 but just Neo that is very cheap.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/