9 replies to this topic

#1 KanylenDK

KanylenDK

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what would be needed to use two Ikelite Strobes DS-160 on a aquatica housing (dSLR) ... Is it something you need to get as extras (bulkheads) or is it something you choose with the housing ??

Cheers

#2 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

You can choose the Ikelite bulkhead option with a new housing or buy the Aquatica part #18906.  Then you use the Ikelite dual sync cord to connect your two Ikelite strobes to the ikelite bulkhead on your Aquatica housing.

I use the same of my setup.

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#3 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

I use mine in exactly the same way as Mark describes - bought my housing with an Ikelite bulkhead and simply use a dual, or single, sync cord to connect two DS-160 strobes, or just one.

Lee

#4 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

I bought my AD90 housing with an Ikelite bulkead. I also purchased the Ikelite TTL adapter which is needed to do TTL with dual stobes. A lot of people will say just go manual with the strobes and I do that a lot. But since my previous camera was a Nikon F3 and TTL was not available I just had to try it underwater.

I use the secondary strobe bulkhead for a vacum fitting.

#5 Julian D

Julian D

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi.  I bought a used AD7000 housing that had two optical bulkheads.  I had Ikelite strobes so I purchased an ikelite optical converter for each one and trigger them fibre optically.  No TTL (although apparently Ikelite are making one that will run TTL).  On the plus side it removes the electric sync cord so slightly less to go wrong.  It was cheaper than converting the housing to ikelite electrics plus if I switch strobe brands at a later date to say Inon or Sea & Sea they will just plug straight in.

Not saying it's better than setting up with hard wired ikelite.  Just another option if you are looking at a used housing.  It's working really well for me and with the cameras flash set to a low power I can do at least 4 dives without changing the camera battery.

Cheers

#6 KanylenDK

KanylenDK

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thx all ... Lots of usefull info

:-) cheers

#7 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

5514572856_8d975e6bf2.jpg

I have both the Ikelite and the optical bulkhead on my Aquatica AD7000 so the best of both worlds. I use Ikelite DS161 strobes and ever since Ikelite bought out extra supports around the connection points of their sync cords I have never had a problem.  The benefits of Ikelite hard wired is that I can shoot 1/320th, dont have to worry about camera battery life, and it shoots faster than a optical fibre triggered strobe (depending on strobe power of course). On the other hand I still have the optical bulkhead which I can change to if I ever buy optical triggered strobes (maybe in the future).

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#8 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

I bought my Aquatica housing with Nikonos bulkheads and use the Nikonos to Ikelite synch cords. That way if I ever want to change strobes brands I can. 

They work great. 

Let us know how it turn out. - DiverPam 

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#9 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Are you guys shooting mostly Nikons? I am using a Canon and what I learned you can not get TTL with the Ikelite and Canon strobes. I wil only be able to shot in manual from now on.

#10 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

Have an Aquatica housing and shot DS161 strobes. I have an Ikelite bulkhead that I use most of the time, but I also installed a fiber optic bulkhead, and have F/O adapters for my strobes as a back-up means of triggering.