• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Looks like the paradigm shift in digital media distribution is coming:

Check out Odemax plus other platform  like it. I am sure Sony, Youtube, vimeo and Netflix etc will launch something but nothing this easy and efficient on bandwidth. Read all about it here as some of the technical stuff is way over my head:

http://odemax.com/

In nutshell its a platform to view, distribute, contribute and showcase any 4K content in an efficient and internet friendly format. Got good 4K content and want to share and earn some money maybe - you could cut out the middlemen and publish it yourself. This is for real and this platform does not require fast internet bandwidth.

One snag and that is you need some sort of set box and a special code for the media and a 4K television. Still early days but for those of you thinking of potentially making money from your 4K or UltraHD content but don't want heavily compressed footage then here is an alternative vehicle....Better go and shoot something good.

cheers

David 

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

ODEMax is more for professional film distribution than mainstream viewing. There are more snags than one for mainstream viewers, which is why I didn't announce it back in Dec.  You need to buy a RedRay player (which went up in price in 6 mths. from $1450 - 1750) and the bandwidth is really only fast for real time in the US, and even with fiber internet, there are slow downs.  The requirement is 2.5MB/s or 20mbps.  So you have to buy a RedRay, 4k TV, and have super fast internet (or wait until it's downloaded).  The quality is good but once shown on a 4k projector on a bigger than 12ft screen, it's not that great.
Last month we tried to watch Pigarev's Meteletsa in France via fibrenet a La Box and it was better to download the movie and watch it later.

However, the great thing about ODEMax is that it's great for cinema presentations.  Basically, if a cinema wants to play your film, they just buy the rights online, and play it out of the box.  However, it does make distribution a lot easier for those who don't want/can't to hit the film fest circuit.  If anything, having a channel is a nice way to promote, although I wouldn't be too happy about the percentage take ODEMax takes for now.

I doubt we will see a flood of Blair Witch Project style films for now... but who knows in 5 years time? :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

I am talking about professional distribution. And why not mainstream? What is pro now will be mainstream tomorrow. It is a big deal for Indies. Most of what was presented in film festivals do not get distributed or shown in cinemas. Very few get snapped by mianstream distributors. It is a complete waste of resources and talent in my opinion. I know a few indie production houses here and in Asia and they are overjoyed that finally their handiwork and labour of love gets a screening in full cinema quality. Not Vimeo or Youtube. Think of the possibilities for corporate and advertising?

The price of RedRay is steep but 4K TV are available for less than 2K now especially those from Chinese manufacturers. I have seen them in shopping malls in China. I have checked them out and they look great.  Well I am just saying. For underwater footage and factual documentary films shooting and producing in 4K is not that scary anymore.  

How did you down load Meteletsa last month? In 4K? Odemax was not live until a few days ago?

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

Alpha test.  You are not the only one who knows Jon Farhat. :) Plus last month was only a few days ago. 

As for distribution, more indie film fest hitters hope for cable movie channel distribution and making a name. The present distribution system is very difficult to break in and one has to be a stand out talent and make some waves for them to pay attention. That's life in the fast lane for now, but things are changing. TV, billboard ads are doing it anymore. Look at how all the big movies have TV specials attached and the principals go on the talk show circuit for promotion. Remember Blair Witch? They shrewdly used the internet forums to spread how "real" the movie was.
I agree the ODEMax is a good venture, but not right now. It's too US based for now to be an international player. Youtube's 4k model will be revamped sooner or later.
The mainstream will have built in support for 4k content. Sony will be offering its movies to all its TV/BD owners via the internet in the near future. The Netflix/iTunes market will shrink once that happens.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:16 AM

Oh!