Photo
- - - - -

Canon 70D looks promising, what do you think?

Canon 70d dslr video

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Hi guys,

This really looks promising for video:
http://www.cinema5d.com/?p=20252
http://www.dpreview....s/canon-eos-70d
Just look at the autofocus capability and the color rendering :)
Waiting to see the low light performance...

What do you think?
Best Regards,
Thani

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

The most interesting feature of the 70D is the focusing mechanism and focus tracking during video recording. It behaves and focuses like a camcorder in that mode. The sensor uses phase detection. It is limited to the heavily compressed H264 and 8bit bandwidth. I am sure in the near future ML will have worked out how to hack it to record raw video like almost all of the Canon DSLR siblings.  Other than that it uses SD card so is subject to read/write media limitations in speed. It is not going to surpass 5D MIII in raw video unfortunately. Low light ability will not be better either.  Cheers   David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 05 August 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1924 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

I was awaiting the 70D with great interest but as a starter with no lens collection, the 5DM3 would interest me more as a wide angle cam (low noise, ML hack), and the GH3 would interest me more as a macro cam (smaller size, longer DOF, superior weatherproofing???). A 70D ML hack might change that, and I suppose it might be superior to either the 5DM3 or GH3 as a "jack of all trades" cam. I'm yet to be convinced that blue-water banding isn't a problem with the GH3. And I've heard nothing of any GH3 hacks as yet.

I'm also interested in a forthcoming 7D replacement, but if hasn't got a swivel screen then I'm not interested.

Anyone know how good the 70D's weatherproofing is?

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

Nick, the weather "resistant" GH3 or 70D has no IPX rating, so weather sealing claims are sorta market BS till they send it in like the Olympus OM-D EM-5, which is IPX 1.  The thing is I remember noting the GH3 doesn't have a seal on the card  door, unlike the Oly.

Even worse is the Canon marketing BS, which states the  70D is like the 1DN in weather sealing.  That was a pro camera in the old days but had much fewer electronics to protect than nowadays. Canon also said the 7D was like the 1DN so by that, the 70D is like the 7D in sealing, whatever that means.  Howver, Canon famously claims the weather sealing for most of the L lenses and 1D series is able to handle 10" (254mm) per hour of precipitation.  The 5D2 had a 10mm/m2 for 3 minutes rating.  So the 70D/7D are somewhere in between! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1924 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Drew. So on current information it sounds like weatherproofing is not a distinguishing factor between the GH3 and 70D.

It does seem strange to cite an old model like the 1DN. Was it famous for its weatherproofing?

My gut feel, based on little real info, is that the 7D (and presumably 7D2) probably have the edge over the 70D in this respect, as they are more of a "pro" line, and the fixed display probably helps. But who knows.

Having once had my Sony Z1 (and a week's shooting) wiped out by a single drop of water, it's something that's close to my heart. Plus of course it would be nice to shoot in a shower without the hassle of a rain cover.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I don't think anything except those little submersible p&s or a pro body like the 1D series with a L lens will handle a shower (yes I've sprayed my rig in the shower before to get rid of salt, dust and even mud :)).

As for the weather sealing, I can't say either way without some sort of  standardized testing. 

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:12 AM

I don't think anything except those little submersible p&s or a pro body like the 1D series with a L lens will handle a shower (yes I've sprayed my rig in the shower before to get rid of salt, dust and even mud :)).

As for the weather sealing, I can't say either way without some sort of  standardized testing. 

At present time there is not much to rave about the video quality coming out of that sample 70D camera.
Images are extremely soft, a bit noisy and moire and aliasing are everywhere

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Espen, are they shipping already? I thought the shipping date was pushed to end Sep?  Is this a beta camera test?

Drew

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

"Even worse is the Canon marketing BS, which states the  70D is like the 1DN in weather sealing.  That was a pro camera in the old days but had much fewer electronics to protect than nowadays. Canon also said the 7D was like the 1DN so by that, the 70D is like the 7D in sealing, whatever that means.  Howver, Canon famously claims the weather sealing for most of the L lenses and 1D series is able to handle 10" (254mm) per hour of precipitation.  "

Drew called it correctly.  This is why I have always been so against republishing press releases....they are, for the most part, all hype.  When the press release was published on Wetpixel's main page I commented that I hoped someone would write a real review after using it.   As a writer I do read press releases but insist on doing my own evaluation.  Granted, first person evaluations can be subjective to the writer but, at least, you are reading an article that is based on real world experience.   While I have been cutting back on the article a week syndrome, I am still hyper vigilant to the great hyperbole that press releases are.  I can learn more from users here regarding products than I ever can from most press releases.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.