Interesting Reflection

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Running.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hey everyone - I'm quite new to underwater photography, but not to photography in general. 

I just took my new Ikelite housing, along with a Tokina 11-16 lens in an 8" dome port out for a spin yesterday in some pretty silty fresh water.  I ended up with some pretty interesting shots, however an interesting occurance resulted in most of my photos.  There is a reflection of the front of my lens in almost all of my photos.

After calling Ikelite, I was told that I was shooting at an 'improper angle' to the sun, and that if I correct that, it should be rectified.  Although I can see the validity to this, I find it hard to believe that all 66 photos were taken at the same 'improper angle' to the sun.

I've gone through a couple other ideas in my head, and I'm left with only one thing I think may help.  So to make a short story long..... Should I remove the UV filter from the lens!?!?!?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

Yes remove the UV filter. Also you might want to take a black sharpie and blacken out any white print on the front of the lens. Some people use black gaffer tape. It could also be light leaking from your cameras flash, there are topics about that here on Wetpixel, you could do a search.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#3 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

Andrew it might be helpful if you posted a picture showing the "rings"... I'd never seen anything like it... :)

#4 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hey, thanks Paul, and sorry for the delay in replying. Here's a sample image that I sent to Stoo earlier this week. It of course has no artistic merit, or any value at all for that matter, but it's a good exaggerated example of what I'm seeing in my photos.

The very bright ring on the outer portion of the frame is a chromed ring on the outer portion of the lens. The rest of the rings are just reflections from the face of the lens itself.

Reflection.jpg

PS - I was out again last night, sans UV filter. It helped quite a bit, but still noticeable. Break out the gaffer tape from the basement, I guess!!

#5 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Unfortunately this is more common with acrylic domes. not so much with glass. you can mask out the rings and wording like the other posts said and not aim into the sun.
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com

#6 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

Aaah the things we didn't know before buying!

#7 aorr

aorr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Underwater photography, Geology, GIS

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

I had a similar issue (but not bad). I removed the UV filter and it significantly helped reduce the reflections. Hope that helps for you too!

-Andy

#8 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Cool, thanks Andy, and Todd. I did try it without the filter, and it made a difference. Still there though. I'm going out again on Sunday, I'll try it with some gaffer tape too.

Thanks again guys!

#9 aorr

aorr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Underwater photography, Geology, GIS

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

Good luck. It's incredibly frustrating and I feel your pain. Nearly impossible to Photoshop them out. :(

#10 Alison Perkins

Alison Perkins

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:http://www.inspiredtodive.com

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

This thread is interesting to read. This is one of my first photos (straight off the camera and downsized) from an outing with my Canon 5DII in Sealux housing. You can see the diver is being cradled by rings.

9484676985_c92bb5df4d_b.jpg

I deduced quickly that these were the rings from inside the dome, and that their appearance is related to aiming at the sun. I can try the black gaffer tape trick too. In the end will it be a case of working out at what shooting angles to the sun these appear and then avoiding that?

Underwater photographer based in New Zealand.

http://www.inspiredtodive.com

#11 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

I was actually out today in 'clear' water, and there were no reflections at all out of 50 shots fired off!!! So, maybe between the UV filter, and the silty water, I've got it figured out.

But I've got a few shots pointing into the sun today too.

I'll continue to keep posting as I go along.

#12 DiveMasterDewey

DiveMasterDewey

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, photo-acoustics, RFID, Electronic Article Surveillance

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

You think you have reflections? 

I have you all beat !

Extra points if you can guess what lens I was using :-)

Dome-Reflection_1.jpg

Alan Dewey
Reef Photo & Video
n2theblue at
reefphoto.com

S.D.I. Scuba Instructor

S.D.I. Underwater Photographer Instructor

www.AlanDewey.com

www.AlanDewey.Photography

#13 Alison Perkins

Alison Perkins

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

An update on my dome port ring reflection issue... I managed to get my hands on some black Gorilla grip tape. I cut 1.5 inch strips and overlapped them neatly around the inside of my dome port, covering the ring tracks. Last week I went out photographing sea lions and whale sharks in silty water with a tonne of sunshine beaming down. In almost all of my images I can't see any problems with the ring reflections. There is the odd photo where I can see small signs of a reflection aberration, but for the most part it was okay. Although this wasn't a scientific study, I feel pretty certain that pre-taping I would have had a huge issue with ring reflections shooting in these conditions, angled towards the sun. So I feel the taping has made a big improvement. :-)

#14 the_dragon_no1

the_dragon_no1

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Good luck. It's incredibly frustrating and I feel your pain. Nearly impossible to Photoshop them out. :(

the "spot healing tool", i think its called, in the raw editor of PS i find Very good for this.! Used it many times to fix this problem before. Takes abit time if there is much to fix, but it does its job very good i think :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

#15 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

UPDATE!! 

Well, I've got some news, as it did for Alison, the tape also worked for me.  But it wasn't totally bullet proof.  I was still getting some reflections.  However, with some practice, and research, I think I have solved the issue!!

Such a beginner mistake, that it was probably the reason why no one mentioned it here - I feel a little slow!  I had my strobes waaaaaay too far forward, and light from them was getting directly into the dome.  With the adjustment, I think I may now be problem free!

#16 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

Good to hear! I'd never heard of this problem, so when you asked me, I was stumped!

Edited by Stoo, 24 November 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#17 Alison Perkins

Alison Perkins

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:23 AM

My reflection issues still exist if I shoot at certain angles to the sun. It's not a strobe issue for me because I wasn't using any strobes. Too much sun in the dome port is definitely causing obnoxious ring reflections that really wreck an image.

#18 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

I use the combo of black gaffer's tape around the end of my lens and this:

http://www.bhphotovi...cking_mask.html

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#19 Brett R

Brett R

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Diving
    Photography
    Juggling

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hi Andrew

Hope you have the issue sorted out….I had a similar problem in my Ikelite housing for my Canon HV30 video camera where the reflections popped up.

The solution I came up with was based on the tests I did by holding my hand over different parts of the housing whilst looking at the monitor….and there were times when the reflections disappeared.  The only explanation I could come up with was that some of the light that got into the housing due to it being clear would bounce around and hit the lens at an angle where the rings/markings would show up.

I gaffer taped an area on top of the housing and a few inches around the front of the housing…haven't had an issue since! Doesn't look great, but the video footage is fantastic!

Cheers

Brett.

#20 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hey guys, thanks for continuing to post, sorry I've not been around for a bit - busy with land photography this winter season...

Brett, it's funny you mention that.  Stoo suggested that it might be that exact problem.  I brushed him off thinking it was impossible, because the port itself is black (not letting in any light), and the space between the lens, and the port body is soooo small that I figured it was impossible that was causing the issue.

But now here you've confirmed that it may just be that.  Of course, Ikelite will not admit to that!  Their housings are just perfect! 

I guess I'll have to try that now too.  Well, I'll be in the pool for a little while, so I'll have lots of time to play around with it, and see if I can't isolate the problem.  Thanks, gents!