• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Olympus sell 'shading rings' for their lenses, which as correctly pointed out, stops the light from come from behind the lens.

A cheap option is to buy step up filter rings from say 67mm to 72mm or similar to reduce the space between the front of the lens and the port :)

Regards, Richard

---

GH4, Ninja2, 8mm, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 14-42mm PZ, 60mm - all in a Nauticam wrapping, plus a couple of Keldan Video 8M CRI Lights

---

#22 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2147 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

I once used rings cut from soft black plastic, pushed onto the barrel of my lenses. Most alloy housings seem to have avoided this problem, except with fisheye lenses behind large domes.

#23 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I just cut the bottom out of a bleach bottle, cut in to size, and painted it black. Works great when I slip it over my fish-eye.

#24 dpaustex

dpaustex

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Scuba. Photography. Mountains.

What else is there?

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

Yes, take off the filter.

I, too, had similar issues. I went the Sharpie route (didn't work), and now have a piece of an old wetsuit as an "extension" to my hood. Problem solved.

#25 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

You see, I'm more than just a pretty face... ;)

Stoo suggested that it might be that exact problem.  I brushed him off thinking it was impossible, because the port itself is black (not letting in any light), and the space between the lens, and the port body is soooo small that I figured it was impossible that was causing the issue.

But now here you've confirmed that it may just be that.  Of course, Ikelite will not admit to that!  Their housings are just perfect!