• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Ok, I know I am going to sound like a complete newbie and I know it's probably been asked before but how do I properly lock my aquatica port? I have the aquatica 5d ii housing and I used the port lock to lock the extension in place. However, when I attach the megadome to the extension, it turns into place but there is no click or anything to tell me it is locked. It is very easy to just rotate it counter-clockwise and remove it. I am not taking it into the water until somebody tells me this is how it works haha. I am terrified to ruin this housing on my first trip. I am taking it into the pool without my camera inside just to get the hang of it for now. But won't even do that until I hear back.

Thank you,

Jim

#2 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, that's an interesting conundrum isn't it?   The port extension will lock to the housing, but the port itself is merely screwed into the port extension - no lock.

In practice, I've never had an issue with it, but the port will definitely rotate on the extension.  I just always ensure the port shade is in the right position and that tells me everything is good.  I suppose if a person wanted to "dedicate" an extension to a port forever and ever, you could epoxy it into place.

Trust me, it works fine.  If you have a flood it's more likely because you made a mistake sealing the halves of the housing rather than the port coming loose.

take care,

JP

Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#3 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Thank you so much. I see that aquatica makes a port lock collar. I might have to pick one of these up just for peace of mind. 

Thank you again,

Jim

#4 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

See, I learn something every day!   I didn't know they had such an animal.   Been using Aquatica housings for years and never knew.

Thanks,

JP

#5 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Haha glad I could be of help. Test dive went great. I am absolutely in love with all things aquatica now. 

#6 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, they make a very nice product -- I'm very happy with them and also with the support they give.

#7 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Another solution is to buy a vacuum leak detector. Your ports won't move when one of them is in operation. I use a Vivid on my Aquatica.

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#8 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Oh, wow, I like that too. A little bit more expensive but when you consider the cost of gear if it floods... worth every penny. I will have to do some more research. Why don't housings come with these things?

#9 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Some of them do, and most of them will.

Hugyfot did the hugycheck and a recent thread spoke about Nauticam doing

it too.

#10 Moose

Moose

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Diving and photography, obviously.
    Horology.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Another solution is to buy a vacuum leak detector. Your ports won't move when one of them is in operation. I use a Vivid on my Aquatica.

Wow, another bit of kit I didn't know I needed, will order one immediately, thanks!

#11 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

I use the port lock collar for my aquatica. It keeps the dome port in place, no worries. A friend of mine had a flood in the rinse tub when lifting the housing out by the dome - the extension ring had twisted, and he was left holding the done with the rest of the housing back in the tub. The collar makes me feel a lot happier.

#12 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Years ago a few housing manufacturers used a threaded port mounting system vs bayonet.  Nexus is the only housing now using threaded mounts that I'm aware of.  For me this is a more reliable system - no need for port locks & ports won't easily rotate, resulting in a potentially big problem.  Just snug them down good & you're good to go.  A bayonet system was probably cheaper to machine is my best guess.

Edited by jcclink, 13 August 2013 - 05:21 PM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#13 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

I just bought the new Backscatter vacuum check system for my Aquatica 5D3 housing.  It was trivial to install and I feel a lot better knowing that my ports won't fall off in the rinse tank (which happened with my original 5D housing).  When the system is pumped down, not only do you KNOW that the system is sealed, you CAN NOT remove the port or the back panel until you crack the vacuum.  I will take the newly installed vacuum system for its maiden dive this weekend on the Yukon in San Diego.

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#14 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

Let me know how it goes. Looks like I will have to buy one of these. Though, with the 15mm sigma, I don't need an extension. I guess it's still a good insurance policy...

#15 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

I am happy to report that the vacuum system worked as expected.  I pumped the housing down the night before the dive.  When I got home the housing was still under partial vacuum.  The dive itself was fun, although it was dark and the vis was pretty low.  You can check out the images at:

BTW, I tried out the Magic Lantern dual-iso imaging.  It is AWESOME.  Here is a sample.

http://www.flickr.co...eve/9558840145/

Enjoy,

...STeve

#16 Moose

Moose

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Diving and photography, obviously.
    Horology.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Just ordered one, can't wait to try it out on my Ikelite.

#17 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I am happy to report that the vacuum system worked as expected.  I pumped the housing down the night before the dive.  When I got home the housing was still under partial vacuum.  The dive itself was fun, although it was dark and the vis was pretty low.  You can check out the images at:

BTW, I tried out the Magic Lantern dual-iso imaging.  It is AWESOME.  Here is a sample.

http://www.flickr.co...eve/9558840145/

Enjoy,

drsteve, you mention that your housing was still under a PARTIAL vacuum.  Do you have a leak??

#18 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

. I see that aquatica makes a port lock collar. I might have to pick one of these up just for peace of mind. 
Jim

That's exactly what you need. And the port CAN AND WILL rotate off. I almost lost mine when I handed my camera up to a boat tender. When I went to put the neoprene cover on a few minutes later, the done was turned completely and ready to pop off.

That little think is the cheapest bit of kit you'll ever but and worth every penny!

#19 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

drsteve, you mention that your housing was still under a PARTIAL vacuum.  Do you have a leak??

No I didn't have a leak. When you pump it down, you only partially evacuate the housing. I started with a partial vacuum (-10inHg) and ended with the exact same partial vacuum (-10inHg). Voila!

...STeve