7 replies to this topic

#1 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Can someone help me out here?

I've shot Canon G Series cameras for several years now. (G10, G12, and now G15.)

Recently I bought what I thought would be a Canon OEM housing for the G15 but it's a knock-off Meikon which has the interesting feature of a 67mm thread on the front. So now I'm thinking about wet lenses. :-)

How does one use, in practice, a lens like the SubSea +5 or +10 with this camera? The reason I ask is that I find that what limits my macro ability is the working distance. I use the C1/C2 settings now to set me up for my "practical maximum magnification" which means setting the zoom lens at a minimum focus distance of about 10-15cm. When using these diopter lenses, do people set the zoom at the long end and then flip in the lens giving both more magnification and more working distance?

suggestions on what kind of diopter setting is appropriate for these cameras. And also what's worthwhile as wide angle wet lenses? (I know the Inon somethingZ80 is a possibliity).

Thanks!

#2 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

With my Canon G12 I would zoom the lens out to maximum (115mm equiv I think from memory) and use this with the dioptres to give the greatest magnification.

Once the dioptre is on you actually reduce the working distance down to around the 10 - 15cm mark depending on the strength of the dioptre - the stronger the dioptre the shorter the working distance.

Using the dioptre is a little difficult but once you know how it is relatively easy.

Essentially the camera take a photo of the virtual image created by this lens therefore you need to focus the 'dioptre' before you focus the camera.

By this I mean you need to get the image as sharp as possible in the camera's LCD screen by moving the camera closer to or pulling away from the subject (same as using a magnifying glass) - once you get a sharp image in the LCD screen you then focus the camera.

You need to also understand that the working distance is only small from being in focus and being out and again the stronger the dioptre the less this image is.

Her are some examples taken with my old G12:

Pygmy Seahorse - this was with 2 x +3 dioptres

12-07-19+-+15.jpg

Tiny Frogfish - 2 x +3 dioptres

12-07-15+-+03.jpg

Hairy Squat Lobster - 1 x +3 dioptre

12-07-20+-+11.jpg

Hope this helps.

Karl

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#3 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

Thanks. It does help. I think those cameras are 140mm at the long end. So you are saying you get close by moving the camera back and forth and then let the autofocus take it from there?

Those are great shots and I just came back from the Philippines with my G12, so they are familiar. The last two I could get something similar with the bare G12 (depending on how much you've cropped your shots). the pygmy sea horse, I can only prove I saw one. :-)

#4 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

BTW, which diopter is this? I mean brand. Are these wet diopters or something that is air sealed like the SubSee?

#5 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

BTW, which diopter is this? I mean brand. Are these wet diopters or something that is air sealed like the SubSee?

No cropping at all and I use these dioptres - http://www.reefwreck...wet-lenses.html

The Frogfish was < 10mm in size

Karl

Edited by Karl, 15 August 2013 - 02:10 AM.

#6 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

Here is an uncropped image of the Frogfish taken without the dioptres - just with the lens zoomed out to maximum and 'macro' setting turned on. 

12-07-15+-+01.jpg

Karl

#7 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thanks. I'm a bit confused though. The diopters on that page are +10 and +20 but you say +3.

#8 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks. I'm a bit confused though. The diopters on that page are +10 and +20 but you say +3.

I was one of the first to buy from Jeff and at that time he was selling +3 & +6 strength lenses.   These are his newest models (version 2) and from what I gather the strength has been increased.

Karl