• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

Looking to dive a new area in Indonesia.  Alor has been suggested.  I've heard various reports about muck dives & the amount of fish in some areas.  Has anyone dived there during the past year that could recommend dive operators or liveaboards, and comment on the quality of dive sites & amount of marine life.  Thanks.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#2 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

I have done Alor both land based (Alor Eco divers Aug 2009) & liveaboard (Damai I Nov 2012)

There are pros & cons to both.

A liveaboard allows access to great muck sites in North & South Flores.These site are too far away for the land based operators.

Land based is cheaper and i thought the dives around Alor were better with the land based resort compared to the liveaboard. Perhaps this was luck or better local knowledge regarding the currents. I saw more fishlife, sharks with the land based ops. There is also a chance to see Mola Mola.

A liveaboard allows you to visit an active volcano (Komba???), one of the highlights of the trip

Alor is good, generally good-excellent viss, excellent reefs , but you need current to see lots of fish. We saw Rhinopeas. Alor offers a good mix of macro & nice reefs.

Not as good as Komodo but definately worth a visit. The top side landscape is very nice.

GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#3 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Right back from Alor, still writing this from Maumere/Flores.

I spent only 6 days but can recommend Alor as one of the major dive spots in Indo. Not up to Raja Ampat but where else can compare, probably a half-step below Komodo, in my opinion Alor can stand against all other dive areas with its own specific features.

A first off comparison would be Komodo for the currents, though I would state there are more fish in Komodo. Alor provides more often wall diving in outstanding visibility, 40m was not uncommon, and very unique dive sites such as anemone city, so vast and interesting it can be done a few times.

Also you'll dive very close to the village shores in Alor, therefore you may have more UW fisherman photo ops, and sometimes interaction. I spent a lot of frames shooting the typical bamboo alorese fish traps too. 

As said above Alor combines both high voltage coral dives as well as muck diving Ambon style, Alor is probably the place with Ambon where you'll most likely see many Rhinopias, both species paddleflap or weedy.

As for the resorts, there are only 2 in Alor, I stayed with Alor Eco divers and would recommend them anytime, only three days that we left and planning to return. They have fast small boats, not more than 5 divers on each boat Gilles the owner is a photog, he mostly leaves the guiding to his staff and enjoys hopping on a boat for fun and photo dives. Bungalows provide electricty 24h and warm water, there is a good beach too with decent housereef diving, especially at night. THe atmosphere around a common table is very convivial at dinet time wher eeveryone share their day time experience or own slideshow. All in all, we had a really great time.

Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.