3 replies to this topic

#1 glee719

glee719

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hello,

I want to get a setup for my Nikon F100 and experiment with film underwater.  I am finding few Sea & Sea housings on eBay but I can't find a corresponding port chart.  Sea & Sea only lists MDX housings for digital.  Is there a difference?  Also, even on that chart the lenses seem to be limited.

I only want to use it with Nikon 24mm 1.4.  Can someone help me determine which port to get?

Thanks,

George

#2 eddiethemartian

eddiethemartian

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

I don't think the 1.4 was ever a common lens to use in a housing.  Your best bet would be to compare the physical dimensions of the lens with something a bit more common  - it's probably roughly the same size as a 14mm 2.8 so would need the fisheye dome and SX ring.  Basically you'll need a fisheye dome and possibly an extension ring, and there are only 2 extension rings to choose from!  

Have a look around for information on port theory and you should be able to work out what might work.

Eddie.

#3 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm shooting an NX-100 pro right now.  All the ports that fit MDX will fit NX.  You just need to compare lens dimensions.  The bigger issue will be zoom and focus gears.  I've seen some on e-bay, but you'll have to search.  Right now, I'm using my 35mm f2.0 which works on both FX and DX and my 60mm AF-D. I use the standard NX port.  I expect that my mini dome might work as well, but I haven't tried it.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#4 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

Just got back my first roll of film with the 35mm f2.0 and it vignettes in the standard port (too short).  The 24mm f1.4 is too big for the standard port at 3.3x3.5 and would probably have to be used in a dome.  An alternative might be the wide flat port that's used for the 18-70 kit lens.  Even that lens is only 2.9" so you'd have to check the port interior dimensions.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro