#1 albert kok

albert kok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

Hi

There seem to be various ways to install an vacuum lock on your UW housing. The vacuum lock is meant to create a underpressure (or: small vacuum) of around -5 Hg. Which equals .16 Bar: that is the pressure of a water column of around 2 meters. ScubaCam in Holland sells a simple and relative cheap device which includes a VacuVine pressure pump and a stainless steel one-way valve that can be screwed in one of the function buttons on the Ike housing you dont use (like the Fn button in front). I found it very simple to install and effective. After 15 pumps the vacuum is installed and it will be difficult to remove the port or back lid. A vacuum gauge is not really necessary..but if you happen to have a gauge (or a small barometer) you could place it inside the housing (like I did)  to check the vacuum and if it remains stable.

Attached Images

• ikelite1.jpg
  • ikeliet2.jpg
  • ikelite3.jpg

Edited by albert kok, 19 August 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#2 TomUK

TomUK

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

Interesting. I am assuming this is to test that the housing and port are fully sealed?

Profesional Photographer on land........ gibbering wreck underwater.

#3 albert kok

albert kok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Interesting. I am assuming this is to test that the housing and port are fully sealed?

Yes..if the underpressure remains stable you can be pretty certain that there are no leaks that could spoil your dive on the dive following the test. The underpressure in the housing created on land sort of mimics the relative higher pressure of the water column around your housing during the beginng of the dive. Keep in mind that most  water leaks and floodings occur at shallow depth.   

Edited by albert kok, 18 January 2014 - 10:43 AM.