• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lundysd

lundysd

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

One of the aspect of underwater photography I find most difficult is separating my emotions surrounding a shot and the shot itself.  In other words, I find it very difficult to judge one of my photos objectively without recalling the particular dive or destination it came from.  This makes it difficult to identify which images should be entered in competitions or used as signature photos.  I don't think I am alone in this regard, but recently it struck me that maybe there is a more efficient way of doing this.  

With this in mind, I'm wondering if anyone out there is interested in a "portfolio review" system here on Wetpixel.  Here's what I imagine...

1. Senior photographers interested in critiquing portfolios would volunteer to critique a handful of portfolios (I imagine each critique would take 10-30 mins at most).  Ideally this would be established uw photographers with experience in judging or evaluating work.  

2. Wetpixel members interested in being evaluated would submit a portfolio of 20-50 of their (subjectively) best photos

3. The senior members identified above would browse these photos and identify the overall technical strengths of the portfolio, the weaknesses, and the strongest images.  

Any thoughts?  Sound interesting to anyone?

#2 Markosixty6

Markosixty6

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sounds like a great idea, i know there are a few cites that do this. It would have to be a colective effort to work. 20-50 would be a full time job. maybe your best 6 keep it slim, just a thought.

All the best

Marko

#3 asmigel

asmigel

Wolf Eel

• 111 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

That is an interesting idea . . .

However, I should just make the point that we have a vibrant community of professional uw photographers here that are happy to critique images if you post them on the forums. ;)

~abi