6 replies to this topic

#1 DiversOfTheDark

DiversOfTheDark

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

Hi

We started a cave diving project last september in France. Our aim to show non-divers or non cave divers why we do it. Not the most simplest task but we'll try our best. Filmings are continuing in coming september.

Br, Janne

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Nice work.  I do question the need to have the Aquatica logo and housing like it's a product video at the beginning.  Is this part of a sponsorship deal? Otherwise it detracts from your video really.
Also the narration subtitling was sometimes not as clear due to the video background (eg 1.07min).  Otherwise, it's a pretty nice video. Congrats.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Very nice

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#4 DiversOfTheDark

DiversOfTheDark

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

Nice work.  I do question the need to have the Aquatica logo and housing like it's a product video at the beginning.  Is this part of a sponsorship deal? Otherwise it detracts from your video really.
Also the narration subtitling was sometimes not as clear due to the video background (eg 1.07min).  Otherwise, it's a pretty nice video. Congrats.

Hi

Our trip was organized with very short notice, and MK5D housings were all out of stock at the time, since it was just launched. So we got two proto housings kindly from Aquatica for the trip. This is how showed our gratitude, since we could have not film the material without them.

Janne

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

Ah ok.  I guess a big thank you in the beginning or at the credits roll would've been less intrusive to your trailer.

I noticed you had spot lights on the divers but a few shots you had a wide beam light which looked quite powerful.  LEDs?

There was a bit of noise in some of the shadows.  Have you tried shooting in RAW via the magic lantern hack?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 DiversOfTheDark

DiversOfTheDark

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

Ah ok.  I guess a big thank you in the beginning or at the credits roll would've been less intrusive to your trailer.

I noticed you had spot lights on the divers but a few shots you had a wide beam light which looked quite powerful.  LEDs?

There was a bit of noise in some of the shadows.  Have you tried shooting in RAW via the magic lantern hack?

All of the lights are custom made or modified for us by Veli Elomaa from Scubamafia.com. Most of the models are now in production range. It's very nice to have own light wizard in team.

I'v been playing wit Magic Lantern but the RAW hack seem to be yet too unstable for us. But definately in future we'll use it. 

I'v always struggled with the noise since there is so much dark areas in our footage where it appears. Aquatica clip wasn't denoised since we were in a hurry to launch it before DEMA.

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well definitely you won't get the recording length of IPB. With 25 minutes on a 128GB card, you need to be very judicious with what you shoot.  Deleting clips is an option as well.  I've tried a few of those 256GB but none of them can hand 1080p24 even in 1.85.

The firmware is pretty solid now.  Only problem is it is still based on the v1.13 instead of the v1.21 firmware, which has  the f8 focus and also clean HDMI, not that that matters much once raw is recording.

Drew

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EOS5Dmk3, Cave diving