• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

I currently use DS-161 strobes for my macro. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion what would be considered the best strobes to use for macro and why.

Look forward to your views.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

There are a couple of schools of thought that I have heard.  The first and probably most common is that smaller strobes are easier to get in position and use for a lot of macro subjects.  The other idea is that larger strobes with more power are better to use because of their much better recycle time.    I'm in the second camp.  I really dislike waiting for the strobe to charge and much prefer my YS-250s to my smaller 100's.  The newer strobes improve both the recycle time and power of my older YS-100 units.  So it 's possible to get the best of both worlds if you combine higher ISO bodies with better strobe efficiencies.   The newer units allow much easier TTL which might also help the first shot keeper rate.

Probably isn't a "best strobe" for a category of images that large.  Like most things in U/W photography, "it depends" is always close to the truth.  Where are you shooting, subjects, camera, lens, etc.?  As an example, I would use my smaller strobes to shoot nudi's in Lembeh and would put on the big guns to play with Mandarin fish for the recycle time.

Steve 

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Your question depend on the housing you use and if you use TTL or manual exposure,

If you can use optical triggered strobes in TTL the INON Z-240, or D-2000 are excellent, sturdy strobes and have a lot of accessoires (snoot, diifuser)
If you use electrical connection then the INON Z-240 work in manual and give you 24 levels of output

If you use a Ikelite housing with a built-in TTL controlle a Ikelite strobe will work very well in TTL

if you use your exposure manual then any powerful strobe with short recycle time, fine adjustable output control and small size (for traveling) will work fine

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

I have two Z240 and although I cannot speak for the TTL, I must admit they are lighter, smaller and more powerful. Highly recommended. 

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#5 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

I have two DS161 Ikelite strobes currently. Do the z240s recycle fast? I will not be able to use the TTL function in my new Aquaticia housing. Canon cameras will not interface TTL with the Ikelite strobes in that housing.