26 replies to this topic

#1 Arnie

Arnie

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

Hi.
I just start diving ( have had my 4th dive) and I would like to take my camera underwater but housing for a 7D is just to expensive.
What kind of camera I should buy to start with?

Thanx all

#2 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

Arnie,

IMHO, you need to become an experienced diver, with good buoyancy control, before taking a camera in the water.  Yes, it's fun to have u/w pics to show your friends, but task overload can be a real problem for newly certified divers.

First, tell us what you want to do, take some low quality pictures, take better quality pictures, compete in contests, ...?  The answer to your question will then be obvious.

Underwater photography is a hole in the ocean into which we throw money.  Equipment is expensive.  I have a garage full of crap that I went cheap on and later replaced with more expensive, better stuff.  You can start with a little point/shoot, but you won't like the pics very much.  You can move up the food chain by adding an underpowered, cheap strobe.  Eventually, if you are serious about taking pictures underwater, you will buy a housing for your 7D, dual strobes, focus lights, lens ports, arms, etc.

After you get a few dives under your belt, consider buying an older, used dslr, housing, etc.  There are many nice rigs out there, on sale for less than the 7D housing alone.  [I know someone with an Olympus E-330,Ikelite housing, lenses, ports, dual strobes, etc. gathering dust because people are chasing the latest and greatest.]

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#3 Arnie

Arnie

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

jlyle. 

Thank you for answer. 

Seem like to me if I start saving now I began enough experience diver when I can afford to buy that housing.

You was right about that buoyancy control, is not the best

. I thing I will keep diving and keep saving money. (may better idea is to rob the bank  :-) )

I can actually borrow the compact camera in that dive center.

I also try to search if somebody hiring housings and I can not find anybody in UK. What a shame. 

Thank you for your time. 

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

As a beginner diver, I would suggest spend your money on dive trip instead of camera equipment. I know a guy that only have about 20 dives in a real sea environment, and he wants to do all the certification up to the dive master level and the dive shop would let him do it since all the certification is done at the lake.The way I see it is, those money could be well spend on some nice dive trip and help affirm if it's a true hobby that you want to get into before spending more unnecessary money, whether it's equipment or certification.

#5 Mcsleepy99

Mcsleepy99

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have a similar problem.  While I understand that  the focus must be on safety and enjoying the diving component, I would really like to have some decent photos of my trip next month.  I don't think buying housing for my DSLR is feasible, but maybe it is?  Would I be better off getting an inexpensive, easy-to-use underwater camera?  If so, what kind?  Maybe answers to these questions would help Arnie as well?

#6 Arnie

Arnie

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

kc_moses. 

I did my course in the sea coz i living on Jersey Chanel Island.  That diving trip is great idea, I also do have a job opportunity in Maldives what i really  thinking of.   

I am going to do my advance diver course in next couple weeks. Start on Friday 13th, wish me luck guys. 

I already decide to not to buy housing for DSLR but something cheaper. 

NOW

How Mcsleepy99 said. What kind of camera? 

Do you thing something like that

http://www.onebigdot...38&idcategory=0

gonna be enough or spend more ( for example Canon G15)

http://www.camerasun...rshot/g/wp-dc48

#7 Pyro_

Pyro_

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Price wise it is hard to beat the deals on the olympus epm1 with housing and zoom gear for 500 as a starter to a system

#8 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Listen to Jim - he is spot on.  Taking decent pictures underwater requires a learning curve that is hard to master at the same time as the learning curve required to stay safe underwater.

Once (and only once) you can handle the basics of a dive on auto pilot without needing to think constantly about your gear, air, depth, and buoyancy, then you can add the additional tasks required for photography.

Then depending on your ambitions, you can think about what type of setup suits.  I have seen many good photos taken with a point and shoot like the Canon S110 and a single strobe, and once you learn about white balance you can also get some fun video.  Moving up to a dSLR and all the stuff required to make that work is a huge step. 

#9 Arnie

Arnie

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

I see what you trying to say and it make sense.

If I buy something now (before I leave Jersey) it is gonna be cheeper for me coz low VAT. just 5% instead of 20.
That is all.

#10 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

I tried a cheaper camera around Sark many years ago. My photographs were very poor. For the Channel Islands, where diving can be tricky, you really need a mid-range camera with strobes (flashguns) and a fair amount of diving experience. Trying to concentrate on your air, swim in a current and take pictures is pretty stressful at first.

All that's still true in the Maldives but, as there is more light, a simpler camera and a colour filter for wide-angle shots makes photography a bit easier.

#11 Vondo

Vondo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:37 AM

For a beginning diver or a a beginning underwater photographer, the best way to get decent photos of your trip is to make friends with a more experienced photographer. :-) The next best way will be to pay someone from the dive center to take photos of/for you.

Yes, with dedication and picking he right subjects you can get half-way decent photographs even with a P&S without an external strobe. But it takes work. Lots of people seem to have the thought that just by buying the right camera they can "buy" better underwater photos, but it doesn't work that way. A better camera system allows you to develop your skills more, but it won't instantly make a difference.

So concentrate on your skills and buy beers for someone else and ask for copies of their photos. Most people will oblige.

#12 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Lots of people seem to have the thought that just by buying the right camera they can "buy" better underwater photos, but it doesn't work that way. A better camera system allows you to develop your skills more, but it won't instantly make a difference.

Too right.  Even with 27 years of diving experience and 10+ taking photos, the limiting factor for me is not my equipment!

#13 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Do you thing something like that

http://www.onebigdot...38&idcategory=0

[gonna be enough or spend more ( for example Canon G15)

http://www.camerasun...rshot/g/wp-dc48

That first one is pure and simple rubbish. (1) You'll outgrow it pretty soon and (2) it's, frankly, much too simple anyway for anything other than "Happy Snaps". If that's all you want it for (I'm willing to bet that you're not). why, go for it, otherwise save your money (you'd be lucky to get some of it back anyway).

As for the G15, do you know that the G16 has recently been released? Mind, I'm not necessarily saying that it's significantly better than the G15 but I happen to know that B&H New York currently have it at $US100 less than the projected price of the G16. It's not a bad camera, of its genre, but it's not the one I would buy in that circumstance. That would be the Canon S110 which has also just been superseded by the S120.

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG

#14 foragefish

foragefish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I am a volunteer monitor of a fishway utilized by spawning alewives. I want to lower a video camera near the entrance to the fishway to observe what is going on. The camera would need to be lowered about 10' into 6-8' of somewhat turbid saltwater.

Any suggestions on equipment I would need and cost?

Thanks

#15 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

I am a volunteer monitor of a fishway utilized by spawning alewives. I want to lower a video camera near the entrance to the fishway to observe what is going on. The camera would need to be lowered about 10' into 6-8' of somewhat turbid saltwater.
Any suggestions on equipment I would need and cost?
Thanks

I would advise you to again ask the questions on this forum but, this time, do so in an entirely separate thread. I say this because it will otherwise get drowned by the responses to the still camera questions, video and still cameras are still poles apart in their capabilities. :)

Your major question is intriguing but I would advise that you re-check your figures. Why would you want/need a camera with a depth of 10' when the maximum depth of the channel is apparently 6-8' or am I missing something, yet again, here?

Edited by ChristianG, 03 September 2013 - 04:14 AM.

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG

#16 foragefish

foragefish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Thanks, how do I initiate a separate thread?

The fishway is constructed such that I can stand about 10' above the high tide water level of the fishway entrance. The water depth at high tide is about 6-8'.

#17 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

Thanks, how do I initiate a separate thread

If I can do it, anybody can

1) Go to the head of this page and click on ...

Hmmmmmm, I haven't done it in so long that I can't remember.

It's bound to be blindingly simple, can someone else help please?

When you get there, remember to change your subject matter to something more pertinent, such as "Remote video camera for observing spawning alewives". That "remote" bit is important, people around here may otherwise assume you are a diver.

Edited by ChristianG, 04 September 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#18 foragefish

foragefish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Thanks, I'll included the word "remote". Again, I do not see an obvious way to start a new thread.

#19 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

You need to be logged in, and at the level of the topic not an individual message thread.  For example, either of these two, for the Galley or for the Vdeo techniques forum:

http://wetpixel.com/...hp?showforum=13

http://wetpixel.com/...hp?showforum=14

#20 Arnie

Arnie

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Ok, just find some deals in DIVER MAGs. 

That is the links, can you tell me witch camera and why?

http://www.camerawor...rwater-kit.html

http://www.camerawor...rwater-kit.html

I am also trying to find out if I can add strobe but cant find it.  

Thanx for your time.