26 replies to this topic

#21 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Ok, just find some deals in DIVER MAGs. 

That is the links, can you tell me witch camera and why?

http://www.camerawor...rwater-kit.html

http://www.camerawor...rwater-kit.html

I am also trying to find out if I can add strobe but cant find it.  

Thanx for your time. 

Your second link doesn't work, but....

The Canon G1X is not a great underwater camera for a beginner. You would think it would be great with a nice sized sensor, but it cannot focus very close -> poor macro capabilities.

The S110 is great from all reports. The S120 is out now (or soon) so you might get a good deal. Another alternative is the G15/16, which looks and handles more like the G1X but has the sensor of the S series (and similar optics).

#22 Arnie

Arnie

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

That second link is for a Canon s110, with WP-DC 47 housing for £450. 

#23 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi.
I just start diving ( have had my 4th dive) and I would like to take my camera underwater but housing for a 7D is just to expensive.
What kind of camera I should buy to start with?

Thanx all

Never dive with a camera before 100 logs.. :lightbulb: Try shoot with your 7D on land with manual setting like mounting the 580, setting iso to 100, etc etc to gain experience. You may start an inexpensive camera later like the on sale Olympus EM1 set plus a strobe. Personally I will recommend a DC with RAW capability like G15/RX100

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#24 Arnie

Arnie

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

Thanks Mark K. I am not worry about camera, I'm taking photos for least tham 4 years. 100? :-) that is mean another 83 to go. HIHI.

#25 chdiver

chdiver

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hi Arnie,

In my opinion, go straight on your 7D. Once and for all if you gonna continue diving in future. Imagine, spend some money on P&S and later spend again on your 7D. You are already good with your 7D. I am like you, only 20 logged, but I shoot Nikon D90/Canon 7D on land for years. I got a used rig and it save me lot of money. Currently using Canon rebel XTI/400d in Ikelite housing with 2x DS125 strobes. 60mm macro & 10-22mm for wide angle. Just got another used ikelite 7D housing and the rest of the stuff remains. Looking forward to try the 7D housing.

Experiences:

-for the first dive trip, try to get familiar with viewing the tiny view finder. Imagine you are not viewing straight to your view finder now, you have housing, mask & some water in between your eye & viewfinder. I was struggling getting focus/composition at first. Try move your mask as close as possible to the housing's viewfinder will help. P&S uses live view which is pretty easier but the focus lag & shutter lag is unacceptable.

-buoyancy. I was struggling too getting buoyant while taking photos. I overcome this first by using the advantage of fast focus lock & shutter of dslr. Lock the focus first, then Framing your subject, then snap. It can happen in less than 1s. When you dive more and more with your rig, you will be familiar with your buoyant. Some might say you gotta master your buoyancy first before bringing your rig down but I find that its totally different when you dive normally & dive with your camera rig. You gotta familiar diving with your rig.

-4 divers/guide. I was the only photographer. The guide wont wait for you to take photograph as its not fair for others. I totally agreed. Try to merge with other photographer or get a private guide which cost you a little more money. Please the guide to find some subject for you, and concentrate shooting. Spend some 5-10 minutes snapping the same subject (Macro), sooner or later you will master the composition & strobe's position.

-strong current. It was very hard to snap on a strong current situation. You need to sync your kicking, buoyancy & photographing at once. Try to get your body close to the walls, or bottom. Sometimes you just gotta give up the subject in this situation, but try first. Again sooner or later you gonna master it.

-TTL. I found TTL is very helpful as I don't have to take care of the flash power. The only settings I change down there are aperture, shutter speed & strobe positioning. The other settings are all preset. On the later stage, you will need to change more setting like focus point, ISO & metering mode. You will have no problem with those setting once your familiar with your rig.

-Getting upset. I got some very annoying photos during my first dive trip with the rig. There are only a few ok-ok pictures which is long way near satisfactory. Dont get upset as you will definitely learn mistake from your first dive trip. Review your pic on each dive day and sure you will do better on your next dive day.

-Rig too negative. I found my rig is too negative (I dont know about others). It was very tiring holding the rig down there. Get a float arms or DIY something. I use 40mm thick wall PVC pipe with both end capped & cable tied on my arms. It works like a champ. My rig is now a little negative which is comfortable for me.

-dives site. Choose a macro dive sites if you like macro & vice versa. It does matter as you will have more opportunity on the subject you are looking for.

-Travel with the rig. Huge differences between travelling with P&S setup & dslr setup. If you go for dslr setup, be prepare with the weight & size.

I got some pretty satisfying pic for my 2nd dive trip as a reward of some hard work. Looking forward for my 3rd dive trip with my 7D rig. I hope my opinions & experiences are encouraging you go straight for 7D setup. Cheers.

CH

#26 3PW

3PW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Back to original thread. Get some diving under your belt first. Do a buoyancy course. If you buy a camera, micro 4/3rds are a better investment than a compact in my view (I have Olympus EPL3). Definitely go on an underwater photography course or even better, a guided photography trip: lots of folk spend a fortune on kit but never learn how to use it and so are disappointed with their efforts. Lastly practice lots: been taking photos for 15 years; occasionally I take some good ones ;)

#27 Arnie

Arnie

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

3PW,
i know wha you mean, I did my buoyancy course as a part Advance course.
However ii have to agree with you, ( I just don't want to hear it , if is it make sense to you)
What I finally decide to do is start saving money for housing for 7D and while I waiting for it keep diving. (just start reading rescue diving manual) That mean I have got plenty of time get some experience.