Jump to content

- - - - -

Sea and Sea customer service, spare parts source?

Sea and Sea YS Converter

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nealshields1


    Sea Wasp

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

I need a circuit board for a Sea and Sea YS N TTL converter.  Anyone know a source?



Three years ago, I purchased two sea and sea ys 110a strobes and a ys n converter.  The Strobes are great but because of the difference in design of the battery compartment cap, the converter flooded.  (Note we have over 400 dives with cameras both video and still and this is the second problem we have had in 20 years)  The problem is that as you twist the cap down the o ring tries to follow it around and stretches, bunching up ahead and getting thin behind.  This is unlike the flashes where the seal is pushed straight in and then you screw down the cap to lock it in place, great design but more expensive.  


I suspect that if I can get it fixed, I can avoid problems in the future by screwing it all the way down and then doing a few backwards and forwards 1/4 turns to let the tension in the O ring equalize around the seal.  


I have called and emailed Sea and Sea's Long Beach office and they told me to contact one of the independent service facilities that service their equipment.  He told me that there are no longer any replacement parts available and as this unit needs a circuit board I have a serious problem.  I need to buy a circuit board and Long Beach won't even answer my emails now.


 The unit is otherwise brand new and has only been on three dive trips.  I don't think it is reasonable for me to have to throw it away after so little use and because of a design defect which was obviously a result of cost cutting.   


Beyond that, I have a housing where the flash won't pop up so I can't go to optical cables without replacing the housing and camera because the housing manufacturer doesn't build a housing for a D700 where the flash pops up, so if I changed housings then I would need to buy new ports.




#2 blibecap


    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

you might try 






Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#3 bvanant


    Sperm Whale

  • Team Wetpixel
  • 1878 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles (more or less)
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Devon at pacific housing is a good source although I suspect he would rather fix it than sell the board; you might try S&S Japan since that is where the engineers are.


Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.