• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

Well if first you don't succeed try and try again. After nearly 8 years finally I think I am getting somewhere. I have hinted a few times so I guess its time to show what I am talking about.

I have already posted a quick video test with the custom Pro One dome and in a 5DMIII with 16-35 f2.8L II USM lens. Even that combo is not as sharp or contrasty as this set up. I will also do some test in a Gates Red Epic housing and  Nikon mount. I think it should work well.

I have been really keen to get a port made that works with the Nikon 14-24mm with DSLR, later HD DSLR and recently S35 sensor video cameras.

First of on the D800 DSLR:

14-24test14mmf8.jpg

Basic jpeg and unsharp mask. No other alteration. 14mm end zoom, f8 and ISO100 with the D800 and Nauticam housing. The port is made by me and I am not trying to sell anything here - just want to see if anyone has any constructive comments. 

I have also uploaded a video taken with the D800. The results is pretty good especially the half/half. Once Vimeo is uploaded I will post it here.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Here is one at the 24mm end F8. 

14-24f824mm.jpg

and 100% crop:

14-24f824mm100%crop.jpg

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#3 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

Now the HD video of the test:

I will be trying the port with the 17-35 f2.8 and the 14mm f1.4 Nikkor prime. That should be fun. Oh the port is only 7 inches in diameter.  Cheers

#4 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

You need to vacuum your swimming pool.

#5 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi David congrats on this. If you get a chance could you try it with a cropped sensor and say a 10-22mm. Could you also try it at some wider apitures say 5.6 of f4.
Good luck.
Mark

#6 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

I think I will try on the Nikkor 14mm prime at f1.4 :). If this works then its super for low light.

I don't have the Afs Nikkor 10-24mm but could borrow one. This lens should work on cropped  DX mode in the D800. That will be equivalent to 15-33mm.

I did try 14-24mm at f2.8 the result at the centre is good but edge as one would expect is going to be soft but looks like out of focus so in a blue sea scene with subject mainly in the centre region it looks okay. F4 and F5.6 alot better. Centre region tack sharp expands wider. Corner is still soft. Again not terrible. At f8 everything is pretty sharp. This is using the D800 in movie mode using the 14mm widest. At 24mm f4 is pretty sharp the whole frame.

A few months ago I did try another version  of the port in a Nauticam Red Epic housing and 14-24mm, at wide end and aperture  at f2.8  I think. Need to find that footage and I will post it here. That seems fairly sharp but condition at lembeh was not great at the time.

More later.

Edited by CheungyDiver, 02 September 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#7 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

David, looks good man. Keep up the good work and good luck :)
Best Regards,
Thani

#8 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

here is the footage taken at April 2013 at lembeh Straits. Red Epic, nikon mount, 14-24 at 14mm & Nauticam Rossa & custom port.

original much much more crispier than this. Vimeo compression applied to save space.