Photo
- - - - -

Help, camcorder decided to stop recognize any new hard drives!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 biminitwist

biminitwist

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Diving, UW Video and travel

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

I have a Sony CX550 which allows for a direct copy from the camera's internal hard drive to a portable hard drive, typically all my video is backed up in this manner.

Lately the camcorder has stopped recognizing new hard drives, it will give the dreaded "usb device not recognized" warning leaving the only option to end and disconnect the USB.

I have tried wiping and reformating the new portable drives to FAT32 though my desk top computer with the same results.

Normally with a new portable hard drive the camcorder would ask the first time to reformat the data base before copying and once done automatically start executing a direct copy.

Now though, it refuses to recognize the hard drive to even do that.

At first I thought the new hard drive was just defective so exchanged it, then tried another brand, then even a smaller size (500 GB).

What is strange is any compatible hard drive (even of the same brand-model just purchased) that has anything previously loaded on it directs copies just fine.

I have two seemingly identical Seagate 1 TB hard drives but the new one will not be recognized!

After escalating through all levels of Sony phone support, we established it was not the USB or VMA adapter cable issue and if the camera still direct copies to an old hard drive, it is not the camera.

Also, there are no firmware updates, resetting the camera doesn't help, plugging-unplugging the usb, even copying a small bit of video to the new drive thru the desk top (to trick the camcorder into recognizing the drive) have failed to get the new portable hard drives to be recognized (even when reformatted). 

I have a number of portable hard drives from various trips that I could copy to a larger storage drive then wipe the portable to reuse it (so that at least the camcorder will recognize it) but that is obviously a poor workaround.

I know hard drives over 1 TB are not supposed to work for direct copy because of how they are partitioned but unless Seagate and Western Digital have changed something radically they are the same drives I am currently using.

I would very much welcome any ideas to try and get the camcorder to recognize the new drives.

Thanks.

John 

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hi this may sound stupid. Have your tried cleaning the pins/contacts on the USB cable and socket? I am sure you have done so already. Another possibility is to get Sony to re-flash the camcorder to factory setting.

It is baffling if other back up HDD works and this one does not. It could be HDD has bad sectors. Anyway I hope this helps in some ways . Good luck.

regards
David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 04 September 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#3 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Another option is to connect your camcorder to your laptop. You can then use your laptop to access the camcorder's internal memory and then copy the data over to a USB drive connected to your laptop. Of course, you need to drag your laptop along on trips...

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#4 biminitwist

biminitwist

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thanks. I have looked at the connections and they are clean, also it works well on "old" hard drives with identical connections.

I am actually direct copying last nights 2 hour some dive to an "old" seagate 1 tb, while it's twin new from store defies any way to get the camcorder to recognize it.

R4e- I will try that, two issues are in the past, the camcorder only loads to the laptop's hard drive, not the connected external hard drive (taking up a huge amount of space) and the weird way the AVCHD is nested I am worried about disturbing or missing part of the image data base making it unrecoverable. I will try with both device connected to the laptop, if I can just get some data from the camera onto the drive the it should start recognizing it without a pass through.

When we first got the LaCie rugged portable hard drive I think we had to reformat it seperately but then it was recognized.  

So weird it has become an issue and Sony service could not offer any ideas on why or how to resolve it provided it still works on the "old" hard drives.....

#5 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

R4e- I will try that, two issues are in the past, the camcorder only loads to the laptop's hard drive, not the connected external hard drive (taking up a huge amount of space) and the weird way the AVCHD is nested I am worried about disturbing or missing part of the image data base making it unrecoverable. I will try with both device connected to the laptop, if I can just get some data from the camera onto the drive the it should start recognizing it without a pass through.

Just connect your Sony camera to the laptop and ignore the automatic windows that appear on your laptop. You should be able to use regular Windows Explorer/file management to browse your camera. It normally would appear as a new (temporary drive) on your laptop. Atleast on my Sony, there is a directory called "Private",  under it there is "AVCHD", then "BDMV" and finally under "STREAM" you will find all your avchd clips as individual files with a file extension of ".mts". These files can easily be copied, individually or collectively, to any file folder on your laptop or any separate external (backup) drive. I have not found any use or need for anything else in the "image data base". And the files will not corrupt from this copying, as long as you COPY FROM camera TO some other location on the laptop or external drive. Do NOT use the CUT operation and do NEVER attempt to delete any of the files on the camera.

vimeo.com/r4e

#6 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Additonally, you might find video clips with .mpg extension under the root directory "MP_ROOT" and its subdirectories. Plus you might find picture files with .jpg extension under "DCIM" and its subdirectories. All of these files can be individually copied by Windows Explorer to external destinations.

vimeo.com/r4e

#7 biminitwist

biminitwist

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

I have managed to use the computer as a pass thru to a new hard hard drive and it seems it will load to i movie or final cut depending on which app is open. If I wait long enough the avcd file comes up and I can copy that over to the hard drive but it is named AVCD and won't play if I try to change the name so the next copy is problematic. I appreciate the help.

John