3 replies to this topic

#1 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi all

I'm backpacking through PNG as well as Indonesia and the Philippines next year.

I'm going to be going to Madang - how good is the diving there, really?

I am planning on going to Kavieng for a week first and if the diving is that much better up and around there (Cheaper too?) I don't mind spend the week that I was going to spend in Madang up there.

Please advise!

Cheers

Adam

UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Better in what way?  Madang has very pretty coral reefs and walls, and the pelagic life at Planet Rock can be prolific when dived at the right time.  However many times it's not safe to dive due to strong currents.  

Kavieng has more WWII plane wrecks and certain sites in current are better for pelagics like silver tip sharks since they do feeding here.  I'm sorry I can't tell you which is cheaper to dive since my prices were quite a while ago.  

I like Madang for the colors and variety of fish, but Kavieng has the channels (thus a few more sites with thick fish life)and plane wrecks.  Nusa Resort, Malagan Hotel and Lissenung are the 3 places I'm familiar with in Kavieng.  All of them can reach the marquee sites.  Dorian of Scubaventures (Nusa) knows more of the plane wrecks since my buddy and I went there for that.
Madang, I only dived on a liveaboard and at the Jas Aben.  I did stay at the Madang resort but did not dive with the ops there.
If you really have too much time, do the trek from Goroka to Madang and then dive there.  Just hire a guide because the security can be a bit iffy.  Good luck and safe travels!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Better in what way?  Madang has very pretty coral reefs and walls, and the pelagic life at Planet Rock can be prolific when dived at the right time.  However many times it's not safe to dive due to strong currents.  
Kavieng has more WWII plane wrecks and certain sites in current are better for pelagics like silver tip sharks since they do feeding here.  I'm sorry I can't tell you which is cheaper to dive since my prices were quite a while ago.  
I like Madang for the colors and variety of fish, but Kavieng has the channels (thus a few more sites with thick fish life)and plane wrecks.  Nusa Resort, Malagan Hotel and Lissenung are the 3 places I'm familiar with in Kavieng.  All of them can reach the marquee sites.  Dorian of Scubaventures (Nusa) knows more of the plane wrecks since my buddy and I went there for that.
Madang, I only dived on a liveaboard and at the Jas Aben.  I did stay at the Madang resort but did not dive with the ops there.
If you really have too much time, do the trek from Goroka to Madang and then dive there.  Just hire a guide because the security can be a bit iffy.  Good luck and safe travels!

thanks! I'm really a big coral garden and healthy reef guy with a soft spot for colourful vortices of fish, haha. Maybe I should go big pelagics though because a week after madang I'll be meeting my girlfriend in raja ampat?
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#4 max gleeson

max gleeson

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Out of the two Kavieng would be my pick. As mentioned Planet rock in Madang is a fair dive, there is also the wreck of a B25. But Kavieng has a wider variety of wreck and reefs