To satisfy my curiosity I would love to see some UW test footage of the  Z100

Me too!

#22 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

Sorry mate I have no idea who he is talking about. I guess it would be very strange if it is me as I've never heard of him before! :D

#23 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

Alister Chapman of the Genus Hurricane 3D rig fame. Oh he shoots weather especially bad weather. 

3D whatsit?

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#24 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I know who Alister Chapman is.... my last post above should have been a PM! Oooops :D

Here is a Sony promo vid:

http://www.sony.co.u...m_source=Eloqua

Edited by SimonSpear, 23 September 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#25 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ooops indeed. Worked out what you are saying but too late to stop. Parallel universe !

Sony is really trying hard to get the eco-system going with 4K system. Now you can chop up 4 x HD and have a ridiculously wide aspect multi-screen.

Hmmm.

My take on this is that the market may very well be driven by gaming and the mobile phone 4K. Consumer driven.

For UW 4K if a handycam could do what a Z1 could do for HD  and at a good price point then it could be a winner. 

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#26 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

Some footage and reviews of the AX1 has started to surface and as predicted it doesn't perform well in low light!

#27 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

So Gates have announced a housing for this camera.

Interesting times indeed.

Owner of Down Under Aquatic Imaging. Stockist of Gates/Subal/Archon/Flip3.1
www.duai.com.au

#28 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

How do you add a PDF in here?

Owner of Down Under Aquatic Imaging. Stockist of Gates/Subal/Archon/Flip3.1
www.duai.com.au

#29 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Will be very interesting to see how it goes underwater,

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#30 Aussiejosho

Aussiejosho

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hi All,

For those of you wanting to see some test footage, here you go...

I had 5 dives with the Z100 in Gates in various California sites (in some pretty poor vis) and was super impressed with the rig. Having happily used the Gates HVX200 exclusively for the past 8 years, the upgrade was a pleasure. So far I am not seeing any of the noise I struggled with in the HVX. We had crap vis everywhere we dived, but the autofocus and one-touch white balance were both incredible compared to the HVX. Even at 20m under kelp and soup the camera did a great job of finding the right subject to focus on. I was using Gates early prototype LEDs that throw a boatload of even light, and everything moves slowly and fairly predictably in the kelp and the camera was incredible in these conditions. I have found the autofocus will hunt when the fish and waters are fast moving as we often encounter in tropical reefs and coastlines, but it will find the focus quickly and the switch to manual lock is very easy to reach and toggle on the housing.

The Gates housing is a dream to trim and balance with the bouyant collar around the Fathoms SPW44C along with the trim wieght options. I have used two different light configurations and a tripod, and a GoPro mounted and was able to achieve perfect trim with each variation.

I have done a couple of dives since coming home to amazing vis in the river and will post some of that blue water, white sand footage when I can.

Cheers,

Josh

Josh Jensen
Sony Z100 and Panasonic HVX200, Gates Housing, L&M Lights
Undersea Productions

#31 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2004 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Good job Josh, especially with a new rig. Looks very clear and sharp here at 1080p, including the corners.

p.s. Poor seal at 1:35 :(

#32 Aussiejosho

Aussiejosho

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Nick. I haven't seen how it looks in a tiled pool yet, but in-the-wild footage looks sharp to the edges.

Yep, I've decided I need to share the horrors of what we see with the good stuff.

Josh Jensen
Undersea Productions

#33 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

Josh, nice looking HD even on Youtube.  The 4k downres looks a little Sony typical hypersharpened around the edges. Do you mind sharing the custom settings and post steps?
Looks like the Z100 4k AVCS files are great for generating great 1080p resolution and turning it into 422 color space too, when lit.  Did you have any shots of high contrast like sunballs in the kelp forests that pushes dynamic range? How did the Z100 fare then?  Any banding with the 8bit 4k in open water?
I look forward to your unlit  tests in cleaner, bluish water for MWB to see if the dreaded Sony issue is pervasive throughout the range or just limited to certain cameras.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#34 Aussiejosho

Aussiejosho

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Drew,

Nothing much to share. I have mostly stuck with the default settings so far for Gamma, Knee etc. I am still testing but have seen no need to change anything yet beyond adding ND filters (which is clunky on land but smooth underwater), and flicking between Auto and Manual focus. I am really spending most of my time trying to check focus above all else, and the auto iris and shutter are doing really well without me.

As for dynamic range, the opening shot is straight at the sun through the kelp but deep enough to not blow out without any ND. I'm not one for testing specs too exhaustively but I'm pretty sure I'm getting significantly more range than I had with the HVX. I shot the early morning sun from 5m in pretty good vis and it looks great - no banding at all but I still haven't tried a high sun in clear shallow water.

Josh Jensen
Undersea Productions