• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Article written by John Ellerbrock (Gates Housings) in the Summer Issue of Alert Diver

Edited by ScubaBob, 05 September 2013 - 03:41 PM.

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#2 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

Excellent reportage and conclusions from both authors John Ellerbrook and Howard Hall!

I am a big fan of the DSLR for stills and video as NOT being a professional underwater diver and photogapher/videographer. Thaid said, the form factor of a modern DSLR for travel and handling as one single system for stills and video is just compelling.

I recently added the Atomos Ninja2 recorder and a dedicated housing from Dive and See (http://www.diveandse...ater-monitors/1) that will let me grap video frames at full HD in (almost) uncompressed Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD at 220 Mbps @10 Bit. Besides the advantages of such the form factor obviously is negatively affected as well (in fact it makes the full rig even more negative, so I have to add more floats...). I will try it in the Mediterranean Sea in South of France this September and then in Guadaloupe in Mexico with the "Whities" in October!

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome