• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

I just purchased the Zen 100mm (4") dome for my Nauticam NA-7D and Tokina 10-17. What's the consensus on the need to use an extension with this configuration or can I use it without one?

I took a couple of above water test shots with no extension and they look pretty good. Does adding an extension make the corners even sharper?

Advice would be appreciated.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

hi Andy

The 4" dome should be alright without the extension ring for the 7D. It is pretty sharp at 180 deg angle of view. I think you could have read something about this lens with full frame cameras hence the slight confusion.

The tokina 10-17mm could also be used with FX or full frame 35mm sensors like the 5D with a Kenko 1.4X teleconverter and that would require a 20mm extender otherwise it will vignette. Tokina also make a hoodless version of the 10-17mm that could be used without the extender. Ie. closer to the mini dome. The effect is like the 8-15mm Canon FE F2.8. On full frame the widest is almost a full circle in a black rectangle and from 14 to 17mm very wide angle but not 180 deg. Anyway your 7D is APS-c so the lens is made for this format. You might see cut-offs if you use an extension ring at the widest.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3014 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hi Andy,

If you purchased a new Zen 100mm dome you are fine and won't need to add a extension for your 7D.  The original Zen domes were shorter and required a 20mm ext for the 10-17.  So if you bought it used you might need to add the 20mm.  You will have a blast with this setup.  There are thousands of amazing images out there just waiting for you to make them.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thanks David and Steve for your responses. It's a new Zen dome and I'll be taking it with me to Lembeh next month. Looking forward to adding some CFWA images to my portfolio!

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch