• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hey guys -  I am getting ready for my upcoming trip to Indonesia - 5 weeks total - with 11 days in Raja Ampat and then another 10 in Ambon.    Here is my dilemma - my money is tight after paying for all of this and college tuition for my son. My gear bag is screaming for another toy, but I am feeling like I can only choose one of these things to add to my gear bag for the trip.  

I already have a big blue bosc focus light - but it is big and bulky and does not have the red light incorporated into it.  I sure would like one that is smaller and more light weight and has the new red light features.     

But I do NOT have a diopter of any kind in my gear bag. And heading off to that part of the world, I feel like having at least a +5 would be so beneficial to put with my 105 macro.  

So...any thoughts on which one and why you would recommend that course of action for me.  

Feeling torn about what to do - help wanted. -  Pam     

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'd guess the focus light would be the most beneficial if you have to pick just one.  I'm not sure about your camera but mine would struggle to focus with the Subsee on without a light.  

Is your port set up to take a 67mm diopter ?  

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Is your port set up to take a 67mm diopter ?  

Steve

Steve....How would my port need to be setup to take this type of diopter?  I have an Aquatica  AF macro port (not the manual port).  

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Looks like Morton asked about the same port back in April;

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=50013

I'd be thinking about talking to Reefnet and ask about their adapter for your port.  

Good luck!

Steve 

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1457 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I don't think that the aquatica port is threaded for a 67 mm lens to screw on directly. You would need an adapter (the lens caddy from Aquatica is the item, (19350 Complete close up kit, consist of +5 & +10 Wet Diopter close up lenses and holder for Aquatica Macro Port) . Since you have a focus light (even though you have red light envy) I think getting a diopter set will be more useful. In my hands, the red light feature is not necessarily all that terribly useful.

Bill r

_

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Bill - Thanks for the thoughts on this.  It does seem like going for the diopter is the better choice.  I have a friend who has been kind enough to offer me a loaner of their +5 and +10 Subsee for the trip.   Now I need to get the holder. That way I can at least go at it in stages - cost wise.   I can buy the holder for the trip and then when money is less tight, I can get the diopter.   

Steve....will check with Reefnet about that.  

It does make sense to wait in on the focus light since I already have one....just not exactly what I want...but it does work. 

Thanks - Pam 

The Fin Foundation

#7 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Pam,

why not use the focus lights of your Ikelite strobes? Should be bright enough (never had focusing problems when using my old Ikelite SS200 strobes). Or do you play aroud with strobe positioning, i.e. pointing the strobes outward or so - then it does not work, of course.

Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#8 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Pam,

why not use the focus lights of your Ikelite strobes? Should be bright enough (never had focusing problems when using my old Ikelite SS200 strobes). Or do you play aroud with strobe positioning, i.e. pointing the strobes outward or so - then it does not work, of course.

Jock

Jock...Yes I do play around with strobe positions and like to also play around with snoots.  And I have found that in low light, the 105 really does need a focus light so that it does not hunt.   I have used my strobes modeling light for a focus light when my batteries went out on me though. 

Thanks for the feedback - Pam 

The Fin Foundation