• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

the school of hard knocks is taking a toll on my Subtronic strobes. Now, I love them to bits but dealing with Subtronic themselves is problematic: they have had one strobe now for nearly a year that admittedly needed a fairly major repair but still, it is a long time.

For that reason I am reluctant to send them any more and would rather find another option to get a couple of other units fixed.

Is there any recommendations from Wetpixel members that would be worth pursuing? Are there any bedroom enthusiasts that would be able to help for example? There is a vast weath of technical expertise here and all advise would be gratefully recieved.

(I have spoken to Aquafot who as usual are superb but I am looking for other options so please don't recommend them for the sole reason that I know who they are already.)

Many thanks

bob

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

I've always send mine to Subtronic. Who have sometimes been inefficient and sometimes very inefficient. But they have always come back working, well apart from one that was considered unrepairable.

A little over a year ago I finally gave up on them and retired them from being my first choice in blue water. I never use them in green water - far to imprecise - I think that is where you dive mainly, so I'd strongly suggest changing to Inon Z240s.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

thank you for your thoughts... I guessed that was where I was headed! I like them for many reasons so will be sad to see them go.

#4 Rui_Guerra

Rui_Guerra

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

In my experience Subtronic strobes are VERY good and are my main strobes. As for the Subtronic service, I don't have any reason to complain, they have always done a good professional job every time I needed them.

The only problem I've found with them are the size and weight for travel. Depending on the destination conditions and the kind of subjects/photos I'm planing to do, I choose to take Z240 or the Subtronics Alpha Pro. When in doubt I just take the Subtronics.

I also have Inon Z240 but they are weak when you want to balance strong / shallow ambient light or to shoot bit schools of fish  (except if they are really close or if the ambient light is not strong).

Cheers,

Rui Guerra
Underwater Photography
http://www.photoguerra.net