2 replies to this topic

#1 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Any one have any recent experience/suggestions on excess baggage charges on Lion Air out of Jakarta to Ambon and then Wings on to Nabire?

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#2 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

My experiences from last Oct -

Jakarta to Ambon is usually a 737 with 20 kg weight limit.  Ambon to Nabire will probably be a twin turbo prop with 15 kg limit.  Last year I flew Manado/Sorong/Ambon on small plane.  Check your larger carry-on on the tarmac as you board the smaller plane (at top of stairs).  Expect to pay around IDR 20,000/kg for checked overweight baggage.  Lion does not give extra allowance for dive gear.  Lion departs from domestic terminal in Jakarta.  If feasible check baggage thru from Jakarta to Nabire.  You might get a break on overweight charges.  I try to talk the agents into a discount.  On both turbo flights I did get an extra 8 kg.  This may or may not be because I volunteered to sit in the forward emergency exit row.

Edited by jcclink, 18 September 2013 - 06:25 AM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#3 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Both Lion Air and WIngs Air are picky on luggage overweight, even if they check you in all the way from Jakarta.

For the LionAir sector CGK-AMQ  expect to pay around 2USD (20.000IDR) over 20kg checked luggage.

For the WIngs Air AMQ-NAB sector you will pay over 15kgs but I am not sure of the price per kg, an additional 1,5 USD  would be a good guess, somewhere around 15.000 IDR.

Paying the overweight luggage at LionAir for tha early 5:00 AM flight to Ambon is something of a nightmare at CGK airport. the check in queues are long, disorganized and they give you a ticket that you have to show at another counter. There you'll have to use your arms rudely, hold the paper the closer you can to the clerk in order to preserve a chance to get it selected by someone who'll take ages to confirm a price for a double sector flight. This is the worst of Indonesia at the airport.

It's been 2 years I am trying unsuccessfully to get my hands on the LionAir Club card that allows 5kgs more luggage, fro unknown reasons  it seems that it's never the correct LionAir office or they will imagine additional redtape with papers to provide in order NOT to give their Loyalty card.

This is the dumbest loyalty program I have come across so far.

Jeeze I hate this airline and whenever I can, I take Garuda domestic network that allows 35kgs for divers.

Edited by Luko, 18 September 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.