What type of fiber optic cable for DIY sync cable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

I want to make a long (about 3 meter) fiber optic sync cord (L-type see & sea ends) to use with an off camera strobe (for snoot photography).  I do not want to use a remote slave trigger ( such as the Triggerfish).  I have found a source for See & Sea compatible end caps that will accomodate a 2.0mm external diameter fiber optic cable.  I need to find out the best type of fiber optic cable to use for this application, and a place where I can order this cable.  If any of you can offer any insight on the type of cable rquired, I would appreciate it!  Thanks, Doug

Edited by diverdoug1, 19 September 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#2 bcliffe

bcliffe

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Remote Control Submarines

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

Hi Doug,

I use TOSlink audio cable, and it seems to work okay.  I have used lengths from 2 feet up to 25 feet with no issues.

I can optically fire my Sea and Sea strobes with the 25 foot cable with my built in flash output at 1/128.

Cheers

BC

#3 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Thanks!  I may have to modify the outside diameter of the cable to narrow it down to 2.0mm, but I will give it a try!.

#4 bcliffe

bcliffe

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Remote Control Submarines

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

It is much like a coax cable in composition, a thin outer sheath, a sturdy inner protrector, and finally the fiber optic core.

I have cables that are stripped down to just the fiber itself and use with no issues.  My guess is the fiber optic cable by itself is about 2mm.

#5 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

I want to make a long (about 3 meter) fiber optic sync cord (L-type see & sea ends) to use with an off camera strobe (for snoot photography).  I do not want to use a remote slave trigger ( such as the Triggerfish).  I have found a source for See & Sea compatible end caps that will accomodate a 2.0mm external diameter fiber optic cable.  I need to find out the best type of fiber optic cable to use for this application, and a place where I can order this cable.  If any of you can offer any insight on the type of cable rquired, I would appreciate it!  Thanks, Doug

Check this:

http://thefiberoptic...ilament.htm#2.0

The  2mm diameter fiber is not so flexible. Maybe the 1mm is enough. If you want to curl your filament, check this link:

http://fiberstrobe.b...-of-fibers.html

Cheers

Marcell

Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#6 tamas970

tamas970

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

I also use a 1$/m Toslink cable for my inon s2000-s. Perfect for the job. As far as I remember, the core is 1mm.

#7 windwaternwaves

windwaternwaves

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Doug

Where did you find your sea and sea compatible end caps?

Simon

#8 gsk3

gsk3

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

A little bit of info on fiber optics here (but for a snoot not a sync cable):

http://www.divematri...ber-Optic-Snoot

#9 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

S&S caps available at Reef 

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=3932

They work fine.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#10 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

I think mine came from Divervision but I think xit404 is also making them.

Edited by diverdoug1, 30 December 2013 - 09:32 AM.