• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bob_W

Bob_W

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

I set my system up for a Goliath Grouper dive last Saturday using the 12-50mm lens.I figured that I would just be able to Fn-1 toggle between 12mm and 50mm and it would be OK. I ended up with a strange behavior that I haven't seen mentioned here, or I may have just missed it. The camera is set in manual, and there's an 'M' in the lower left corner of the display. There are some values for f-stop/speed. Using the up/down left/right buttons I can change the f-stop/speed. At this point I hit the toggle button and the lens moves to one end of it's travel, either 12mm or 50mm. The 'M' changes to 1 fish or 3 fish, depending on which way it went. But the f-stop and speed also change to some arbirtrary settings. Toggling again sends the lens to the other end of its travel, and changes the f-stop/speed to a different set of numbers. And at this point, the up/down left/right buttons have no control over the settings.Rolling the mode wheel off 'M' and back leaves the lens in its last position and restores the up/down left/right ability to change f-stop/speed. If I want to zoom to the other end, it's toggle, wheel, set f-stop/speed. I have fond no reference to this behavior, nor a way to set some default values for each end of the zoom. Can anybody shed any light on this behavior?

Thanks,

Bob W

#2 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

That's correct.  Toggling between the "one-fish" and "three-fish" presets does change the shutter speed and f-stop.

I don't know of any direct workaround other than the one you have mentioned.

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#3 amnong

amnong

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

bob_w: I'm experiencing the same phenomena with the E-M1, toggling override the manual mode. appreciate to know if any workaround.

#4 Bob_W

Bob_W

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

bob_w: I'm experiencing the same phenomena with the E-M1, toggling override the manual mode. appreciate to know if any workaround.

With the E-M1, you can program the right arrow for Electric Zoom. Then use the arrows to power zoom in and out. There are no changes to the F-stop & Speed, as with the jump zoom, AND you can stop at any point between 12 & 50mm. So the process becomes:

1) Press right arrow - turns on electric zoom

2) Using arrows, zoom to desired position

3) Press OK - Turns off electric zoom and lets up/down/left arrows revert to regular setting

or

Press shutter halfway - Also turns off electric zoom

I think this is a much nicer implementation.

Bob W

#5 amnong

amnong

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Thank you Bob, that helps indeed.

#6 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Nice feature on E-M1.  I wonder if they updated this function on the E-M5. Anybody knows?