• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

One thing I always have issues with or trouble with is having to much backscatter in my pics when shooting WA. I am here in southern Californnia and WA is very difficult to shoot here due to the high amount of particulate in the water. Can anyone give me suggestions in how I can reduce the backscatter? I know I should put my strobe on a low setting. What else can I do?

#2 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

There are a ton of resources/comments/articles on wetpixel and online to help minimize it. I suggest a search on the beginners forums. There is also a great book by Martin Edge called The Underwater Photographer, which deals extensively with wide angle issues. Many experienced underwater photographers consider it their bible.

I'm no expert and am still stymied by backscatter fairly regularly given the amount of particulate in the water in Miami. However, these are steps i've used to minimize the impact.

1) Get Closer. old cliche, yes, but really does work.

2) Play with your lighting positions. two examples

a) Angle your strobes slightly away from the subject so you are lighting with the edges of the light cone. This seems counter-intuitive b/c you are not pointing the lights at the subject, but it works.

b) move your strobes a little further out from your camera. I often get hot spots b/c my strobes are too close.

Check your lcd often and adapt your angle/lighting as needed. Sadly there is no one thing that prevents it. What works in one situation might not work in others.

hope that helps you get started.

Edited by jmauricio, 23 September 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'd second what Jason recommends especially Martin's book.  The only thing I might say differently is the idea that strobes need to be "further out"  from your camera.  This can work but moving the strobes aft or further back, behind the port, on short arms will accomplish the same thing and allow you to shoot Close focus wide angle images.  Have fun with it.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

good point Steve! strobes behind the port works wonders.

I also found this talk on youtube that Alex Mustard did on Backscatter. worth having a view. he discusses why it occurs and how to combat it.

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

I also found this talk on youtube that Alex Mustard did on Backscatter...

I think Alex has deal with the Devil...

... backscatter wouldn't dare sully his iamges!