• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 JonOrr

JonOrr

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

I recently had nearly the same situation, trying to combine an older ikelite setup with my new E-PM1: totally agree about the desire to not disrupt the ergonomics of the directly held housing. Here is my solution, I picked up a couple of batches of used sea arm vii parts and cobbled together this:

Posted Image

Only just got back the second strobe after service, so eager to try it with both arms, but I have so far been pleased as it allows me direct access to the shutter and gives me more strobe positioning options than the typical fixed grip tray. Here's a couple shots from an early test dive using the one ds-125 and the kit lens:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#22 JonOrr

JonOrr

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Posted Image
I had to mount the tray backwards, and then I drilled two additional holes in the tray and added Allen bolts through to the housing base for a rigid, double redundant connection. It's also nice that it folds up very compact for travel!
Posted Image

#23 albert kok

albert kok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

a7ada6a6.jpg
I had to mount the tray backwards, and then I drilled two additional holes in the tray and added Allen bolts through to the housing base for a rigid, double redundant connection. It's also nice that it folds up very compact for travel!
7amypane.jpg

Looks like a nice solution!

I  noticed that Alex Mustard also recommended the 'direct grip' method of the Oly housing in an earlier Wetpixel article

http://wetpixel.com/...us-om-d-e-m5/P3

The only problem is that a direct grip may become more difficut to accomplish when two big strobes are attached to the small housing. Then it would be nice to have the handles available for extra support.

Al

Edited by albert kok, 13 January 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#24 albert kok

albert kok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Dear Bill

You certainly added some useful gadgets! thanks for the O ring advice, Ill  give the 73X3mm ring a try first. Yeah, I think a removable second lever would be nice, but probably costly. Maybe something for a future Olympus housing? The vacuum leak is also an useful addition. I have one on my Ikelite which was easy to install, because you can screw it an unused function button. I noticed that your sentry needs a  separate drill in the back of the housing.  I guess you have described the costs on your website?

I tried the 73X3mm O-ring today. It definitely makes a difference. Its easier to mount the 4 inch Precision dome, and remove it later from the Oly housing than with the 74X3 mm O-ring. Highly recommended! 

Edited by albert kok, 02 February 2014 - 11:20 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympus housing