6 replies to this topic

#1 kavset

kavset

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hi

I've been diving for almost two years now without a camera after I drowned my last one, a Canon S80. Now I'm trying to find out what type of camera to by as my next one, and would like some help from you all.

I have been looking at SLR cams, but I would like to have the ability to do macro and WA one the same dive. Also I would like to have something that is lighter and easier to travel with and has less drag in the sea.

After looking a bit around on the net and in here, I can see that there is 3-4 types that seem to be the one that will fill my needs if I get some equipment to go with them. What I'm asking first of all is what camera is the best for diving when macro and WA is the most important and video is nice to have?

Second is, what equipment do I need to be able to do both macro and WA with these cams?

The cam's I have been looking at is:

Panasonic LX7

Sony RX-100 mk2

Canon G15

Canon G16 (this one do not have any housing other than the canon housing)

I'm greatfull for all the help I can get here :)

#2 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

I'm surprise no one reply yet. I have the LX7, it's very user friendly for custom white balance during video shooting, and it gives you the P/S/A/M (Program/Shutter/Aperture/Manual) control during video.

The RX-100m2 have same control during video shooting but it's custom white balance is not fun to use.

Canon is way behind on video feature, it controls everything for.

As for photo quality, it's quite subjective, the price of the RX-100 is way higher than the LX7. The LX7 can do both video and photo nicely, and is cheap, so that's my choice. The LX7 do have wide angle limitation, you can only get 100 degree FOV if using the Inon wide angle lens.

The Canon G series could be tricky when come to wetlens, I go for camera housing that support 67mm thread without adapter.

#3 kavset

kavset

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'm suprised to! It looks like this cameras is used by many of us, so why I don't know... Tanks for the feedback kc_moses :)

#4 kavset

kavset

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Is it any one that have tryed the UWL-H100 with the dome on the LX7? Can any one upload a photo with this setup? I'm really interested to see how that looks. It's a bit too expensive to by just for testing :P

Edited by kavset, 22 October 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

I spoke with the sales person at Reef Photo, I was told once the dome is attached to the UWL-H100, with the LX7, you have to zoom in further to get rid of vignette so you don't get gain on wide angle.

Actually another option is the Inon UWL-S100 ZM80 (http://www.inon.jp/p...00zm80/top.html)

It's cheaper and has a dome unit to make it very wide. It requires the camera to zoom to 80mm to get the wide angle. It could be a good option because even after zoom, the LX-7 is still very fast/bright at 2.3f. I was told it's not as sharp as the UWL-H100, and it was design mainly because of popularity of Canon G15, which has 24mm wide end like LX-7. There is no sample picture of the UWL-S100 with LX-7 that I know of.

#6 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

There are huge difference in image quality between them...9282046304_920093f200_b.jpg

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#7 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

RX100 I or II are among the best....well ahead in terms of image quality comparing to the rest of the DCs..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquaman-Life-Under-The-Sea/121279531274515?fref=ts

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home