4 replies to this topic

#1 rrodex99

rrodex99

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Here is my latest take on this topic.

I have played around with acrylic light pipes but as the density of acrylic is close to that of water I reasoned that the effectiveness would be much reduced. My concept is a piece of 20mm acrylic with appropriate edges cut at 45 degrees in prisms to take part of the inbuilt flash output and distribute it to the two bottom corners around the housing. To achive total internal reflection I needed to put small covers over each reflective surface to achieve an acrylic/air face.

I made this for a friend's housing and only took one underwater photo before handing it over, but am making a second unit for myself which will sit inside a diy housing.

Photos show the unit on and off the camera, and photos with and without the unit. As it is held on by the original diffuser it can be easily fitted and removed underwater and uses the camera's TTL metering.

Rod

IMG_3_zps3a543c85.jpg

IMG_2_zps925c81c1.jpg

IMG_1_zps3fc710a7.jpgIMG_4_zps4377a72b.jpg

#2 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

That's really interesting work. Well done.

#3 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Nice project but how even the light distribution is? In your second UW photo there is not much light on the bottom part of the frame. Would it help to paint the sides and the back (with some reflecting material??)

Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#4 joez2391

joez2391

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

really neat idea! looks like it works nice for really close up work, it seems to distribute really evenly

#5 jordioltra

jordioltra

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

Can you send me contruction details? Drawing if possible? Wich kind of reflexion materials on the corners? Aluminum perhaps?

I also have a Canon underwater casing exactly like you show.

My email: jordioltra@gmail.com