• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 decostanza

decostanza

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

After many moons of reviewing an untold number of threads here, I've decided to dip my flipper in the dslr pool.  I'm looking to make the move to dslr from dedicated video cam and was curious what experiences folks have had with this unit?  Would you make the same purchase knowing "then" what you know "now?"

Not sure on the direction of housing yet but lights will be what I currently use which is a combination of Light and Motion (Sola 4000's) and Underwater LightDudes lights (video).

Thanks for your comments on this as it looks like an order will be placed early next week.

Don

#2 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Don I don't think you will be disappointed! You are basically going to have a camera with 7D like image quality and autofocus performance but with the added bonus of video which is way more user friendly.

I got mine primarily as an upgrade for sports and wildlife photography but I must say the Nauticam housing looks very tempting....

#3 decostanza

decostanza

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Andre for the input... I should have mine delivered by Wed and was curious what results folks have had with theirs.

#4 decostanza

decostanza

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Had is delived a couple weeks ago and have to say I'm fairly impressed with the unit.  Went with the Tokina 10-17 lens seemed to be what most folks recommended and just looking at housings.  Right now it seems as if there are only a few options out there currently so that is the only down-side I see at this time.  Can't wait to get it in the caves to see what it can do...

#5 mojodiver

mojodiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

I just got my 70d and am impressed with it so far.  I can't wait to get it underwater.  I have a Nauticam housing for my 7d and I would't buy any other brand.

Their housings are top notch.  The continuous focus for the 70d underwater will be a godsend for video IMO.

#6 decostanza

decostanza

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Agreed Mojodiver on the continuous focus.  Really looking forward to using in in the caves in a month of or so and seeing how it operates.  I noticed Sea and Sea is coming out with a housing in the very near future.

#7 TheNomadTrip

TheNomadTrip

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

First post on the forum, but glad to find some folks with like-minds. I realize it's an old thread, but I'm looking for advice...

Got the 70D today, cool unit and I'm impressed by it.  I can also tell that there isn't wide-spread use yet.  Two quick questions:

Anybody used the Tokina for pelagics or other things a bit further away?

Any advice on settings when shooting underwater?

Cheers,

-Nate

#8 maelstrom

maelstrom

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cycling, photography

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

I have done about 70 dives with my 70D in a Nauticam housing.   I am very impressed by the camera.  It shoots excellent stills, and video that is vastly better then previous DSLRs, mostly due to the dual pixel autofocus.  I just returned from the Revillagigedos, which is pretty much all pelagics.  The still and video autofocus worked flawlessly, even on Mantas in fairly murky water.  I used the Tokina 10-17mm, which works very well with this camera.  For stills, I shoot RAW in manual mode.  For video, I shoot "all i" format, and custom white balance.  The housing has had some issues which required a return to the dealer for repair.  Images from my first trip with this rig are at: 

http://www.pbase.com...nes_12201312014