• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmknights

jmknights

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have a Canon WP-DP34 for a Canon G12 camera.

I want to replace the O ring in the housing.

I purchased one off eBay but it is a smaller diameter to the one that was supplied with the housing.

AFAIK the proper OEM Canon part is yellow.

My replacement O ring is black and smaller diameter than the orange O ring that came with the housing. 

The small diameter black O ring when tested at 2m in the swimming pool is OK and does not leak.

Please can someone tell me what diameter the Canon O ring is in millimetres.

Thanks

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

For $15, I would buy the replacement one that you know will fit properly. Why would you take a chance for a few bucks? The density is just as important as the diameter. The yellow orings are much softer than a black rubber one.

http://www.backscatt...-4517-000.lasso

Cheers,

Marli

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 jmknights

jmknights

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

I understand what you are saying but living in N.America you have much better suppliers and access to certified spares than I have in Spain.

Here I have to live with either purchasing a 'certified' spare part from a dealer at a price that is x3-5 times the real price in USA/Canada and also lack the comfort of not knowing if the real part is actually genuine.

Hence my question about the diameter of the genuine O ring.

My housing came in a Canon box as a genuine Canon housing but I suspect that the O ring (orange) supplied is/was not the correct Canon one!!! 

My spare part from UK is a black O ring that seems to work correctly but is of a smaller cross sectional diameter to the orange O ring and does not have to be stretched so much to fit the housing.

So my question remains  - What cross sectional diameter is the genuine Canon O ring for the WP-DC34 housing ?

Edited by jmknights, 13 October 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#4 jmknights

jmknights

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

I guess the real question should be......

Is the orange one with diameter 3.80mm  correct ?

Is the black one with diameter 2.90mm  correct ?

The black one fits in place with hardly any need to stretch the O ring to fit the housing groove, whilst the orange one is much smaller in circular diameter so needs to stretched to fit into the housing groove around the body.

#5 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

I don't have one to measure. Usually these O-rings are yellow, not orange. And yes, I've always had to stretch Canon O-rings a bit. (About 1cm or less, but they don't drop in).

#6 jmknights

jmknights

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I don't have one to measure. Usually these O-rings are yellow, not orange. And yes, I've always had to stretch Canon O-rings a bit. (About 1cm or less, but they don't drop in).

Thanks Vondo.  That gives me a lot more confidence with the new black O ring I got as a replacement.

The original orange O ring needs to be really stretched to fit on and then the door is difficult to close.

With the black one the door closes with a nice firm push I dont have to force it like with the orange one.

#7 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

From what you've described I don't think I'd have confidence in either of these O-rings. Are you sure there is no reasonable way to get a legitimate Canon O-ring? Something like this http://www.divervisi...n o-ring&page=4 may be less than having it shipped from the US. (I can't tell where you are.) That would seem to be small piece of mind to me for putting a very expensive camera in a plastic box.

#8 jmknights

jmknights

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

From what you've described I don't think I'd have confidence in either of these O-rings. Are you sure there is no reasonable way to get a legitimate Canon O-ring? Something like this http://www.divervisi...n o-ring&page=4 may be less than having it shipped from the US. (I can't tell where you are.) That would seem to be small piece of mind to me for putting a very expensive camera in a plastic box.

I'm off diving tomorrow.

Fortunately I still have my old Fuji 6MP compact camera that I will use tomorrow but I will also take the Canon WP-DC34 but with no camera in it.

Actually I might take the Canon G12 camera and put it in a waterproof bag on the boat then send the Canon housing down to 15m before the dive and see what happens if it floods then there is no loss and if it is dry then I'll just put the Canon G12 straight into the housing and use.

Thanks for all your help.