3 replies to this topic

#1 DANYGRAIG

DANYGRAIG

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone recognise these crabs?

Swimming crabs - I thought marbled - Liocarcinus marmoreus.

Many thanks

Mark

Attached Images

• DSC_773013a.jpg
  • DSC_774613a.jpg

#2 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

I've been down this route a number of times and find them very difficult to separate. The key seems to be to get a photo from above and behind so you can see the legs, carapace shape and the pointy bits between the eyes. I think without a photo like that you will never be 100% certain.

That said, I think your ID is possibly right for the left hand one - not due to the colour which is not a particularly good guide but more because of the carapace and the legs.

I have a .pdf with diagnostic diagrams which I find quite helpful. If you want a copy send me a private message with your email and I will forward it to you

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:07 AM

I'm not sure that you have sufficient data in the images for an absolute ID to be made either - the most useful guide I have is "A key to Crabs and crab-like animals of British inshore waters" by John & Marilyn Crothers (an AIDGAP guide from the Field Studies Council). Differentiation often relies on relative lengths of leg parts, so you need to take photographs bearing this in mind if you want to be able to identify them.

Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#4 DANYGRAIG

DANYGRAIG

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Paul but I don't think I'll be taking photos to measure relative lengths of leg parts in order to ID - swimming crab will do for now!

Mark