Photo

What adapter/cables do I need for a Canon 6D with a nauticam or ikelite housing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChristineA

ChristineA

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:...really?

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

So I'm pretty ignorant about how strobes work with a housing... If someone can help shed some light, I would be incredibly grateful. 

I have never used an UW housing before, I am slowly gathering equipment so that can take photos with my SLR setup but I am a little confused as to what I would need to get two strobes working with my setup.

I currently own a canon 6D. This camera does not have a built-in pop-up flash. I am undecided between getting an ikelite housing or a nauticam housing. If money was a non-issue then the choice would be obvious, so I'm waiting a little to see how my funds go...

I am looking into getting two ikelite DS160 strobes since I have heard nothing but good things about them (but if anyone has other recommendations, I'm all ears). From what I understand, if I were to go with an Ikelite housing, there are already the necessary connectors built in it... For the Nauticam, there aren't. So here's my question:

-What connectors/cables, arms, ball joints etc would I need for an Ikelite housing? Is 
-Alternatively, what connectors/cables, arms and ball joints etc would I need for a Nauticam housing?

Also, because there's no pop-up flash on the 6D, is TTL impossible??

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by ChristineA, 14 October 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi Christine,

I'd highly recommend you take the time to go see one of the great vendors that support the housings/equipment you are interested in.  As I understand it the new flash trigger from Nauticam will work with the 6D housing to trigger strobes optically but they will only operate manually. TTL is not yet supported by  this new trigger.   http://www.nauticam....duct.asp?id=278

Both systems you mention and other good options support TTL using electrical sync cables  http://www.ikelite.c...two/can_6d.html

There are a multitude of different configurations of arms, connectors, etc.  that are dependent in some degree by the type of shooting you do and the water you're diving in.  Lots of current?  Mostly boat dives or shore? Wide angle or macro? All of these factors can affect how I'd setup my system for a dive.   A recent thread here seemed to support a basic setup of 5 and 8 inch arms was the most common setup but I would council you to go and see the setups at one of the vendors. We are very lucky to have very good, extremely supportive folks who are happy to help guide you and  let you check out the all important ergonomics of your system.

Hope that helps a little,

Steve 

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 ChristineA

ChristineA

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:...really?

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hi Steve, thanks for this information. I've looked at nauticam's flash trigger and looks like a definitely buy if I decide to go the nauticam route. I'm just still a little lost as to what bits and doodads I need...

I live in a city that is not diving oriented hence our pro photography stores are a little limited in set ups. Our biggest one had one UW setup by ikelite with Sola flashes. After doing some research on sola, they do not seem to be an appropriate flash for UW photography. The vendors themselves didn't have much insight to offer me either.

I'm gonna try to find that thread your talking about... Thank you