• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Lewis

Sam Lewis

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hi I have a Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II lens with a Nauticam housing and I was wondering what the best Glass Dome would be for that lens?  I am looking at the Nauticam 9inch glass dome but I have heard that it lacks sharpness at the corners.  Has anyone had any experience with this set up and experienced the same problem?  Any opinions on how to improve this problem or recommendations for domes that dont have this issue with this lens would be appreciated.

Thanks.  

#2 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

Unfortunately all rectilinear lenses lack some corner sharpness behind a dome. The best solution is to use the largest dome you can and stop down on the lens. I use the 16-35 II with the Zen 9" without a diopter on 5D Mark III and find the corners quite acceptable. On a cropped body the corners will be even better. By adding a diopter you may add some sharpness to the corners but I don't think the 16-35 II needs it.
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com

#3 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

16-35mm f2.8L II is pretty good with the 5D III and 9" glass.  Big dome. There is a smaller dome solution. The 7" pro-one dome. Have a chat with Jason. He uses one on his Nikon and he uses similar rectilinear lenses. Custom built. Either dome port will set you back a bit.

regards

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#4 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

You are going to need the proper extension ring with any of theses setups. I use a 70mm with the Zen 9" and nauticam housing. I,m not familiar with the pro-one domes so I can't comment on that one.
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com

#5 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

Same ext. ring length for the Pro-one. Nauticam Zoom gear for 16-35 will work.

I use a zillion dome flange with Pro-one glass dome and then zillion 70mm ext. Nauticam- Zillion adapter and Nauticam zoom gear in a 5D MIII Nauticam housing. All working like a treat.

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canon, Dome, 16-35mm, Ports, Lens, Nauticam