Photo
- - - - -

Unable to process S95 RAW to look like the JPG (Lightroom and ACR)

s95 lightroom raw white balance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 String

String

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

I've just been playing with Magic Filters on my S95 but come across a strange problem (im sure its not filter related).

Taking a photo, ambient light, manually white balanced, shooting in RAW+JPG mode.

The JPG has much more red and less colour cast substantially than the RAW file.  BUT when i load into LR5.2 or CS6 RAW editor it initially displays as the jpg (as its reading the embedded preview) but once its rendered properly the colour goes substantially green or blue.

I'm unable to process the RAW to look anything like the JPG - the white balance tint is already at the max of 150 and the image is still very green or blue.  As the slider appears maxed out already i cant remove this.

The result is a JPG off the camera looks fine (if i load this into LR or PS i can do a lot of editing the colours so plenty of room to spare) but a RAW file that appears maxed out.

Example below (crap picture due to low light and algae but it gets the point across):-

IMG_4493.jpgIMG_4493-2.jpg

The first is the JPG straight off the camera (sliders on LR are neutral/middle FWIW) and the second is the same RAW file which comes with the tint at +150 maxed out already so no further correction possible.

Any idea what/how i can sort this problem out?  Its odd i have a lot more potential for JPG editing than i do RAW or is it likely to be an ACR bug in handling the S95 files?

FWIW i've tried using DPP and the RAW file displays properly and can be white balanced adjusted in there, it just seems to be adobe RAW handling thats different.

For anyone interested in playing themselves i've uploaded the original right off the camera JPG and RAW files here:-

I know the photo etc is technically useless - it was grabbed on a guided dive purely to prove the point above with no attempt at getting settings or anything correct.  WB was set manually with a slate at the same angle/depth a few seconds previously.  Depth roughly 17m in fairly dark green water.

#2 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Just curious, in Lightroom in the develop module, clear to the bottom right you have camera settings. Is that set for 2012 current or manual? I don't have such troubles and I have mine set to 2012 current.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#3 String

String

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Its set for process 2012 (i tried the older ones as well, same problem).  This doesn't seem to be on *all* photos with the camera - merely the ambient light photos where reds and so on are missing.

Its happened on all the dives ive done so far with magic filters.