• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for clarifying those points wrt MM and also for the zip - I'll have a play over the remainder of the weekend. Vee-Hive has a SQLite backend (https://www.sqlite.org/)

#22 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Back with some news...

Attempted to install SQL Server Express 2005 but my machine wasn't having any of it. Not a problem, I thought, as I imagined there'd be loads of freeware programs that could read the format: Sadly this was not the case. However, I did manage to find a pretty poor program that sort of did the job and it was enough for me to see enough of the structure and content of your video library to not anticipate any migration problems to Vee-Hive from a purely 'mapping' point-of-view. btw, your Library did not appear to contain thumbnails based upon what this program showed me but I'd have thought from the file-size that they are there? Please confirm...

Anyway, the up-shot of my current findings is that I suspect that (due to licensing issues, though I cannot yet confirm this), it will not be possible to incorporate 'import' functionality directly into the Vee-HIve interface. However, that is not to say that a migration 'method' (comprising several tools and probably some manual tinkering) cannot be established. But, because of the nature of that method (already alluded to), it strikes me as something that I could only really offer as a service. That is not me trying to squeeze revenue from the situation, let me assure you. Rather, it is the weighing up of the issues that cannot (perhaps) be overcome versus the time and effort of making the attempt. Once one factors in the number of users who require this functionality as a percentage of all Vee-HIve users, that is the only conclusion that I am able to draw when viewed from my perspective.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but these are the facts as I currently view and understand them, though there are a few more avenues left to explore...

#23 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

No, that's fair enough. I'll try and get some feedback on numbers that might be interested, and if anyone is in a position to support a translator. In any case I'll give Vee-Hive a trial, and I'll read through that MM-export thread to see if I can be of any help myself.

MM does offer thumbnails, but I've hardly, if ever, used them. Personally I just use the grid view because all my media is named in detail. I expect that's not typical, and if necessary I could make another library with thumbnail usage to send you.

#24 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yes, please, I'd like to see a library that contains thumbnails as it isn't apparent, from what I have thus-far seen, where they might be stored.

As an update to my previous comments, I have discovered that I can distribute MS Sql Server with Vee-Hive but this appears to be an over-kill solution that would bloat my own software package and introduce potential support issues for me. As such, it is not something that I wish to do. However, there may be scope to create a separate stand-alone program whose sole function is to perfrom Library conversion but I haven't really (read 'at all'!) thought this through. It would most likely entail my leaving the installation and set-up of Sql Server to the end-user, though, and that (as I have learnt) is not straightforward...

Anyway, I'll leave you to play with Vee-Hive. Ask here if you have questions - the user manual is pretty poor and largely out-of-date; being a typical developer, I keep putting-off a proper re-write...

#25 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

I fully understand you not wanting to distribute MS Sql Server with Vee-Hive. Keep it lean.

A library conversion program would be neat, but more realistic may be to establish a conversion method, as you previously suggested. Personally I don't really care how convoluted that might be, since it would pale into insignificance compared to retagging thousands of media.

I scanned that thread about data export from MM. I noticed jwcarney's post of 6/22/2011 6:26:54 AM, halfway down the thread where he mentions Talend Open Studio as a way to interface between databases. May be a useful tool for our purpose?

Here is a small video database library file from MM, along with a screenshot. I left it in thumbnail view, so hopefully you can see where they are stored.

I plan to test Vee-Hive shortly and compare feature-for-feature with MM.

#26 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

I had a play with Vee-Hive today. Initial impressions in terms of features were good. I created a new library, scanned a folder with 4 subfolders, and it found my DV .avi files and created thumbnails. Unfortunately it didn't scan my HDV .m2t files (as captured with Sony Vegas or HDVSplit), so I added "m2t" to the file suffix list and scanned again. It then found the files but didn't create thumbnails and didn't seem to know details about those files. Now however I think that library may be corrupt, since I can't get it to display any of the files that I think I added, either .avi or .m2t. Are .m2t HDV files supported?

So I created a new library with just the .avi files. I made some tags but couldn't work out how to apply them to the files. I attempted to add them by dragging them onto the thumbnails. That didn't seem to work, and now when I click on "View 1" or "Vew 2" the program crashes. When I reopen the program and library, the files are gone. Also, I've had a few crashes when clicking "Ready" on an apparently empty library.

Another problem I had is that I couldn't find a way to get out of full screen mode (or HTPC mode), so I had to kill the Vee-Hive process through the task manager.

We can discuss detail offline via PM or email if you like, or maybe in the Vee-Hive forum.

#27 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

wrt your m2t files, successful playback and thumbnail generation is governed by the DirectShow filters installed on your system. How are you setup in that regard? Such files play fine on my XP SP3 system, btw...

As far as your other questions are concerned, they are all answered (via) here, I believe:

http://videophile.fr...ontent-t50.html

and

http://videophile.fr...es-go-t493.html

But, briefly, as I am just about to go out:

- You tag files by drag/dropping from the Browser to the Tree - you did the opposite, which is how you view files with a given tag!

- You exit HTPC mode via the short-cuts denoted on the 'View' menu, i.e. F10

As far as the crashes that occur when clicking 'View 1' etc, these are not actually intended to be clickable and I cannot recreate the crashes. We'll need to explore this more, preferably at my forum....

#28 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Update: I was eventually able to re-create the crash you described; it occurs when the mouse is down on the crumb-bar and then moved. Fixed in v1.8.5

#29 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:54 AM

It's really a good application. What scares me it's the time to tag all my videos :)

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#30 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

Yes, it is time-consuming but presumably you know how to tag many videos at once?

#31 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Nick (and whoever else is interested)

I've made good progress with migrating a MM Library to Vee-Hive. We should talk....

#32 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

Great! I've send you a PM.

Edited by Nick Hope, 09 November 2013 - 12:24 AM.