• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Quick question about stitching images together.

What is the best software to create a panorama from a number of images? I have tried it in PS CS6 to good effect but wondered if there are any other options out there that are worth a try? An idea of the range of option would be handy so I could head down a google search and have a shot myself.

Any to add complexity.. how about with video? What is the best software to stitch video footage to make a long still image?

I saw someone once with an image stitching software that allowed all the images to be roughly laid out and then datum points put in each image that the software would then align. I guess it would have a slightly heavier archeological rigour but in many ways, that would help. ANy ideas what that would be?

here is one of my practice surface shots that is a composite of about 30 images. Was chuffed with the result, especially for the first shot. However, I would like to make a composite of a wreck site looking down to show the whole. Any guidance from the group would be really welcome.

Thanks loads, keep up the good work!

1376332_10151999675679260_2081054867_n.j

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

For still images, I liked Panorama Factory by Smoky City Design

Can't answer video question.

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

Try Hugin Bob. I used it to stitch some of a mosaic together.

Edited by decosnapper, 28 October 2013 - 11:42 PM.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

I haven't found Hugin any better than CS6 for my own panoramic still images.

#5 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

If you have a Sony camera, you can load one of their less-advertised free software that automatically stitches a still image (or video) from a video sequence. The resolution is limited to HD video. The software automatically analyzes the stitching perspective, but, does not turn it. So you'll need to pan your wreck at a 90 degree angle, e.g. pointing camera directly downwards whilst swimming at constant depth. I find this technique useful when the visibility is poor and you cannot get a view of the bigger entity otherwise.

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#6 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Was chuffed with the result, especially for the first shot. However, I would like to make a composite of a wreck site looking down to show the whole. Any guidance from the group would be really welcome.

Here's one I did in the English Channel:-

http://theshipwreckp...-made-easy.html

Around 160 images as a mosaic. The lower left corner of diver and anchor took about 16 images if I recall correctly. I ended up using a variety of tools...do not underestimate the complexity of the task, nor the time you need to stitch.

We might need two pints I think Bob. 

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#7 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Here's one I did in the English Channel:-

http://theshipwreckp...-made-easy.html

Around 160 images as a mosaic. The lower left corner of diver and anchor took about 16 images if I recall correctly. I ended up using a variety of tools...do not underestimate the complexity of the task, nor the time you need to stitch.

We might need two pints I think Bob. 

Think we might be bish pished!! Looking forward to it.

Thanks for heads up to all folk who have answered. Much appreciated.

#8 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

To be honest, the biggest problem I have is getting the camera to recognise indistinct images (eg sky as I am practicing topside) so I am worrying that with a bit of gloom I might lose patches. PS6 been very good, am gonna try autopano on another recommendation.

Anyway, will try for real in the water soon. Watch this space!

#9 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hello Triggerfish,

I have used PTGUI with great results. It can be used to do the type of multi-photo panoramas such as your example. I use it to make 360 degree 'Virtual Reality' panoramas of topside spaces. For your application it is simple and automated. It can stitch together multiple (even handheld) images into one with ease. It also allows you to fine tune the result manually if needed. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.ptgui.com/

Here is also a link to a website that contains a wealth of information about creating panoramas of all types:

http://wiki.panotools.org/Main_Page

I hope this helps,

Randall

See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com

#10 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thank you, helpful info, much appreciated.

#11 Brett R

Brett R

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Diving
    Photography
    Juggling

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi Bob

PTGUI is the way to go, very easy to use.

I use it extensively for all of my stitching and with a little practice and using layers you can eliminate a lot of the stitching errors that can pop-up…also with layers you can deal with moving subjects a lot easier...

Not sure where you are at with your project, but the best advice I can give is be really conscious of the nodal point of the lens/camera set-up as that significantly reduces the errors when stitching.

Have a look at www.underwatervr.com and have a look at the 360 Gallery, lots of images shot handheld, and yes that is my "office"I am the Dive Manager at the Melbourne Aquarium…

If you have any question feel free to ask...

Cheers

Brett

#12 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

I used to use Hugin, but I've been very happy with CS6 and now use that all the time:

2013 Shetland 027 126 Dore Holm panorama 02b.jpg

Dore Holm, Shetland (300mm + 2x T/C, tripod)

2013 Lembeh 16 992 Lembeh Resort panorama.jpg

Lembeh Resort (35mm, hand-held)

BSoUP Spash-in panorama Rame Head 02.jpg

Plymouth Sound (15mm + x1.5 T/C, hand-held)

I've noticed that D800 files stitch much more reliably than D300 files.

Edited by tdpriest, 20 December 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#13 TomekP

TomekP

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

You can ask Tomasz Stachura about his experience.  He did this mosaic of the Mars wreck

I have heard that He did this manually, because it was to complicated for a software (hundreds of images)

mozaikawrakmarsaukcja.jpg

#14 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Don't know how well it would work underwater given a whole lot of variability in individual frame orientations, but Microsoft had a free download called their Image Composite Editor (ICE) that I've used a lot for topside panos and been very pleased with.  Includes projection correction, different motion assumptions (e.g. 'rotating' in a fixed point cylindrically or spherically, translational movement, etc.) and permits loading files with a-priori knowledge of their correct relative positions in terms of image order at least for 'structured' or array panoramas (X by Y images, vs. just 1 by N stripes).

If you're on PC not a mac, it's worth the price of the free download to try out at least.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#15 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Thank you again, some useful info. Now if the wind would stop, i would be able to get back in the water a d try it out!!