• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nwcid

Nwcid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

I just bought a pair of YS-250 strobes so ordered a new set of arms too.  After looking around I went with the UCLS arms with a 5" and 8" section.  

So when everything got here and set it up.  One thing I noticed was the joints seem "loose".  I have tightened the joints to the point right before having to put a lot of force on them.  it helps but it will still not support the strobe.  I can start craning down on the joint but didn't want to damage the screw or O-ring.  How tight should you have to make these?  I know the YS-250 is a heavy strobe, is this the wrong arms for these?

#2 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Supporting the light in the water is a lot easier than above water. Once you're underwater you don't tighten the joints near the level you are doing now.

#3 Nwcid

Nwcid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Yeah I get that.  still does not help much with land management or getting it from the truck to the water.  With my old set up, D70, Aquatica housing, Ikelite arms, and DS-50 strobes, I would just fold the arms over the top of the camera which made for a nice carry handle.  Then when I headed to/from the water I would just bolt snap the unit off to my right chest D-ring.

Maybe there is a better way to manage this slightly larger set up.  

I did a seal test in the bathtub last night.  With no batteries or camera the unit easily floated up and I had to put a weight on it to keep it down.

Edited by Nwcid, 03 November 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#4 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I started out folding each arm across the top of the camera and then back, placing the strobe just outside of the handle. It carried well, but everything was a bit heavy it it was a long walk to the boat.

Then I went to a short piece of rope running through a small PVC pipe with a brass clip on each end hooked to the first segment of each arm.. This handle allows the camera to be carried and handed to others without having them grab the wrong bit. This configuration has the first segment oiting up withe the next segment going down to the strobe.

The last addition was a clip on shoulder strap that I attach to the homemade handle clips. I use this carrying the camera from a shoulder on any long walks. It makes the camera a lot easier to carry and I remove the strap before getting wet.

As you see there are a lot of different configurations that can be used. You just need to assemble the camera and carry it around to see what will work for you.

#5 Nwcid

Nwcid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the input.  

I had seen a few with the rope but none with the PVC.  I might have to try that.