4 replies to this topic

#1 _Alex_

_Alex_

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hey Everbody,

I'm Alex and I'm looking for advise regarding the purchase of a new (compact) camera + housing.

I currently own an Olympus SP510 with a Ikelite housing and a single INON D-2000s strobe. This set-up was bought 5-6 ago and I used it intensively till about 1.5 years ago. Since then I've not used it for several reasons. I also own an Olympus E-520, which I use top side.

I really want to get started again with underwater photography and I've been searching on the internet for information. First I was looking for information regarding the Olympus XZ-2, but as I understand now, at this moment the Sony RX100 II is the best compact camera for underwater photography.

I (like most people) don't have an unlimited budget to spend on a new set-up and that is where the RX100 II is troubling me.

The RX100 II (€620) alone costs nearly as much as the XZ-2 with Olympus housing (€670). And Ikelite housing for the RX100 II will cost about €350. I'm wondering, is the XZ-2 so much worse compared to the RX100 II that it justifies spending €300 more on it? That money could also be used to buy a second (used) strobe.

Recently I came across a offer on a Olympus PEN E-PL3 with an Olympus housing for €750, but since the is a relative old model I don't know how it will compare to the XZ-2 or RX100 II.

For anyone how would like to give me some advise, this is what I'm looking for in a new camera set-up:

- Compact size (my current Ikelite housing is huge).

- Must be able to work with my current strobe.

- Image quality; I won't be printing larger that A3.

I hope you can give me some advice on what to buy, because I'm not sure what to do.

Alex.

Edited by _Alex_, 10 November 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#2 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

I shot Oly p&s aka compact cameras for a long time before switching to Canon S90 (for its size), and now moved up to Oly Pen M4/3 EPL2 in a larger Oly hsg.

I think the EPL2 was better reviewed than the EPL3? You should check the OLympus America store and auction websites for many older or refurb cameras at good prices with short warranty.

IF you want keep costs down and have a nice compact in a smaller housing, I would say go with the Oly XZ-2.  Digicam has gotten good reviews, perhaps not like Sony but you get what you pay for~

Both Oly and Sony should work well with two Inons.  I shoot the Inon D2000

#3 _Alex_

_Alex_

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks leepix for your reply.

I've read some reviews (E-PL2 vs E-PL3), overall they concluded that the E-PL3 is a improvent compared to the E-PL2. In your opion, why is the E-PL2 better than the E-PL3? (other than that it can be bougth a lot cheaper)

#4 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

Are you happy with your current cameras field of view in wide angle?  

These options give you about the same as currently, but if you want to go wider, the solution differs in these options. 

Cheers 

#5 _Alex_

_Alex_

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Well I want to replace my current camera mainly because of the following two reasons;

1, the shutter speed is slow, it is nearly impossible to shoot moving fish.

2, the setup is rather large.

As for now I'm tend to chose for the XZ-2 with an Olympus housing. This combination is smaller and lighter than my current setup. And the XZ-2 has a significant wider lens than the SP-510 (28mm vs. 38mm).

I'm aware that I need to use additional wet lenses if I would like to shoot at wider angles.