Photo
- - - - -

Installing Vivid Housings Leak Sentinel V3 on Ikelite Nikon D300s housing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 witchieblackcat

witchieblackcat

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

I got the Vivid Housings Leak Sentinel V3 for my Ikelite Nikon D300s housing from my LDS. Initially installation was tricky following the instructions on the package:

1. Remove the control gland
2. Screw the adapter into the opening
3. Apply the standard test procedure (see manual)

I was stumped on 1. Remove the control gland!

After talking to my LDS I found out that the instructions are emailed direct rather than come with the package. I soon received them.

3. Installation 

The installation procedure depends on the type of the adapter/housing. 
Instructions for the specific type are included in the product package. 

Leak Sentinel is installed by either replacing the bulkhead, bulkhead cap, or 
screwed in the corresponding accessory port. For more details, please refer to 
the instructions in the product package.

So it looks like the instructions I already had were the ones I needed. But... how does one remove the control gland?

Another chat with my LDS and I get further instructions from the Leak Sentinel chap.

To replace the control gland on Ikelite housing, please follow the steps below:

1. Remove the control button using the appropriate hex wrench
2. Remove the control shaft by pulling it from the inside of the housing through the gland
3. Use the wrench to unwind the control gland (hexagonal metal part) from the housing
4. Screw the Leak Sentinel's adapter into the threaded opening in the housing
5. Apply the standard test procedure (see manual)

Ok. So I can do step 1. Step 2 works with some of my controls but not others and, more importantly, not the one I want to replace.
Step 3 doesn't work as the control I want to replace is threaded in and unscrewing it reveals an x-washer which is incredibly difficult to put back in and nothing to unscrew.

I'm stumped. Does anyone know how to do this before I take it back to the LDS for a refund?

Thanks

Edited by witchieblackcat, 12 November 2013 - 04:25 PM.

Alistair

#2 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

I'd email Miso directly at Vivid Housings. He is most responsive on installation problems.

info@vividhousings.com

#3 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

The control parts are actually two pieces. there is a inter piece that has threads on it kinda like a stud and a outer piece that had threads inside it kinda like a nut. You have to remove both pieces and any retaining nut that may bo on the inside of the housing. See the attached picture.

Attached Images

• ike-controlJPG.jpg

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#4 witchieblackcat

witchieblackcat

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Bill

It's the threaded bolt in the middle of your picture I can't remove. I've got the outer nut off as well as the control and have no retaining nut fitted. 

What do I used to remove the threaded bolt in the middle of your picture? Pliers seem like an easy way to ruin the threads if I ever wanted to replace it.

Alistair

Alistair

#5 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Here are a couple of suggestions. Caution the parts are made out of brass and then chrome plated so there somewhat fragile and soft.

Put two nuts on inside the housing locking them together and allow as much room as possible between the nuts and housing. Turn the inter-most  nut to loosen the threaded bolt.

Put the nut back on without the o-ring and see if you can get it locked on to the threaded bolt and use that to turn it out. You may want to put a small washer in the nut to take up some space between the nut and bolt head.

Put a odd ball nut inside that will not properly thread on to the bolt and try to turn the threaded bolt out.

Once you get the threaded bolt loose it should turn freely.

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#6 MikeM

MikeM

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hi witchieblackcat. Thanks a lot for starting this thread. I recently got a Leak Sentinel V3 for an Ikelite D800 housing, and I ran into the same problem immediately. Were you able to find a good solution? I'm going to give one of blibecap's suggestions a shot. I really appreciate those. They sound like great ideas to me.

#7 MikeM

MikeM

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Update: I just managed to get the Leak Sentinel installed! The oddball threaded bolt trick helped get it started, then a pair of long nose locking pliers (with a bit of electrical tape on the tips to protect the threads) helped twist it the rest of the way out. Thanks for your help blibecap!

Attached Images

• leak-sentinel-ikelite-d800.jpg