14 replies to this topic

#1 Thoms

Thoms

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

Hi all

I'm wondering a lot lately what strobe to choose.  For a start I'm planning only one strobe - if I'm doing it wrong, please correct me ;)

I'm doing rather portaits/landscapes than macros. I'm thinking about sea&sea ys-ds1 or inons z240. I prefer second hand hardware. It would be lovely if I woulndn't need a ttl converter for it.

thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Edited by Thoms, 13 November 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#2 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

When shooting wide angle, TTL is not very usefull (and many feel that TTL is not that usefull for macro).  If you are set on TTL capabillity, we would need to know what your camera/housing setup is to give an educated opinon about need for a TTL converter.  Getting good wide angle strobe coverage with only one strobe is going to be a real challenge (regardless of strobe choice).  I currently use 3 YS-D1's for my wide angle work.  Most U/W photographers use dual strobes.  YS-D1 and Inon z240 strobes are both excellent strobes,   It might be easier to find the Inons used because they have been on the market longer,.

Doug

Edited by diverdoug1, 13 November 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#3 Thoms

Thoms

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

Thanks Doug - are you using 3 lamps to fill the gap which occures with 2 lamps?

I'm not set on TTL capabilities. I'd rather use manual ttl than auto. The thing I'm concerned is about conectivity of those flashlamps. If I won't use converter will all lamps work?

Mine is exactly this same as this one:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=49682

I'm getting started, so one lamp is only for learning purpouses

#4 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

You should be able to use fiber optic cables with no problems. I use 3 strobes so that I can have wider coverage as well as have less of a dead spot immediately in front of my port when doing macro with my fisheye lens.

#5 Thoms

Thoms

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Ok so why should I use fiber optics rather than normal ttl cables? Won't it work as well? Fibers are faster?

#6 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

When using fiber optic cables, your strobes can slave off the onboard flash of your DSLR.  When using the hotshoe, a converter is usually needed to translate the electronic TTL protocol between the camera and the strobe. With respect to speed, fiber optics can be a bit slower to use because you sometimes must wait for your DSLR flash to recycle.

Edited by diverdoug1, 13 November 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#7 Thoms

Thoms

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

When using fiber optic cables, your strobes can slave off the onboard flash of your DSLR.  When using the hotshoe, a converter is usually needed to translate the electronic TTL protocol between the camera and the strobe. With respect to speed, fiber optics can be a bit slower to use because you sometimes must wait for your DSLR flash to recycle.

I'm little confused

So even if I decide to buy sea&sea strobes I still have to buy converter? Or if I won't buy it I still can work with them ?

#8 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

YS-D1 and z240 strobes will work with pretty much any DSLR with an onboard flash using fiber optic cables and a housing with a fiber optic bulkhead. To determine if your specific housing needs a additional TTL converter to use synch cords, you should be able to find that information in your housing manual.

#9 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

The S&S DX-D200 housing does not support fiber optic cables.  You will need a TTL converter if you want that function.  The converter works with the z240's.

#10 Thoms

Thoms

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

So if I don't want to use TTL in auto mode will the strobe/es work in manual connected directly to s&s housing?

#11 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yes, with electric cables.  Only one output for strobes (NIK style) so you would need a split cable to operate two.  The second output is set up for the TTL converter only (which will trigger 2 stobes seperatly).

#12 Thoms

Thoms

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

so looking at all possibilities of strobes that are on market what would you recommend? 

#13 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

I think the YS-D1 strobes edge out the z240's because of simplicity of the controls, but both are great.

#14 Thoms

Thoms

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

and if you had to choose from second hand / older ones? ys-110 and so?

#15 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

I have two DS161 Ikelites that I was going to put up on the classified section for $475 per strobe and $75 for the charger as well as a DS200 for $400.  The negative to the Ikelite strobes are that they are heavier for air travel, and use a proprietary battery, but they have great power.  As said before, Inons are great strobes z240 and 2000 series.  Sea and sea YS-250 is good but also heavy.  I have heard some people have had problems with the YS-110, so you might ask around before buying any of those.  Whichever strobe you get, you may need to get the proper connector for the strobe arms you are using.  Also, watch the classified sections on Scubaboard as well as Wetpixel.

Edited by diverdoug1, 17 November 2013 - 05:58 AM.