• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Wetpixel member Jon Shaw is the cameraman behind the 3Deep Housing for the Sea of Love teaser.  I believe Pawel's housing uses dual Nikonos 15mm lenses in side by side configuration with Red Epic cameras.

Congrats on the nice work, Jonny! I wish you were shooting a ½" sensor camera so you could shoot the over/under shot of breaching humpback.  Can't wait to see it on the big screen.

Here are a few jpeg grabs from the 5k RAW:

http://www.4k.com.au/5k/

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Whoa!!!!  Brilliant work.  When can we see the complete film?

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Very nice Jon!

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Brilliant stuff Jon. Now I really wish I join the trip. Is there a clip with the 3D version you could share?

Looks like there is zero hint of magenta problem.

The last bit is priceless.

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

Here is the 3D version Dave, vimeo doesn't do it any justice. I have had been able to watch a few times on the big screen with a 2K 3D projector and it looks bloody amazing!

Thanks guys, it was a pretty special shoot were everything just seamed to go right and that last shot was just super lucky in so many ways! We shot so much and have so much content it is unbelievable that mother and calf was just so special. On a few days we had to call it quits due to filling cards (512 GB) and the whales were still showing off for us.

You are correct Dave, no magenta issues. Pawel is a very clever chap and he has designed and manufactured two types of filter, one which is really strong and stops 2 stops of light but makes the blues absolutely nuclear and one which I used the whole time which only stops 1/2 a stop but solves the magenta issue as far as I can tell. What really spun me out was the fact that we were shooting 2 3D rigs which a team of three, I was able to be in the water and shooting within seconds and we didn't have a single technical issue in 2 weeks.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:36 AM

Wow, I can only echo the other comments.  Really amazing trailer.  I can't wait to see the finished, full length product.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

Jonny, I don't know if it's my browser but it won't pick up the Vimeo 3D tag for some reason.  I had to download the video.  I'm moving this to the 3D section.  I guess these questions would be for Pawel but I found the fixed parallax content adjusted in post to suit more close to medium distance objects. Once the humpback is about 5+m or more away, the 3D effect isn't  convincing (for lack of a better word). The bubbles were very effective in 3D but the rest of the whale seemed flatter in a few shots.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Fantastic. Just watched it in 3D , and even with the limited res of SBS, it still looks stunning. Hoping I get the chance to watch it in full IMAX format. Agree with Drew about the medium to close shots working better with 3D, but that's to be expected with a fixed IA.

Must have been an unbelievable experience. 

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#9 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Drew, yep definitely a question for Pawel, however he is away on a dive trip way up north for a month. From my limited 3D knowledge this cut was made for the big screen and the bigger the screen the less you want to push the parralax, small screen you can go alot further. This is a totally different film when played on a large screen, the 3D really does pop, a lot of the shots are subtile but very easy on the eye. If you are ever over here in Sydney I'm sure we could organise something.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#10 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

OMG!! Imax!!  yes, count me in, for sure!